Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Born in the 30s,40s,50s, 60s, and early 70s - Read This...  (Read 9060 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Born in the 30s,40s,50s, 60s, and early 70s - Read This...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 11:26:41 pm »
I wasn't a mod. a rocker, or anything else, I went to a Choir  ;D - but I remember my Mum being very worried when I started going to CND meetings with some newly acquired friends (with hindsight I think they 'acquired' me).  But I got bored with being inside and watching their propaganda films - so she needn't have worried - I was soon back outside looking for farm horses to speak to and playing with Susie my spaniel cross.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 11:29:10 pm »
Think my kids had the best of both worlds
surrounded by hills fields rivers etc but also choices and parents with cars to go to the cinema
Their granny lived near here as a girl on a farm. Her dad was the ploughman. She hates the countryside now and refuses to visit in case she sees a mouse. She loves her centrally heated bungalow and Asda. She cannot understand why we would choose to live in a field and keep hens (which are muddy and smelly)
I don't knkow which way my kids will go but I am really glad that they are negotiating the maze of modern life and are becoming lovely young women. My eldest daughter leaves home this week and I just look at her and am so proud. She is sensible, grounded, good company and independent. Growing up in the naughties has not been too bad for her.
kirsty

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 01:58:46 am »
"Growing up in the naughties"

That's a very good quote, hope you don't mind if I use it myself now. ;)
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 07:30:53 am »
Sad to say Unicorn I was very much a Rocker, Triumph Bonnevile motor bike, Elvis Presley hair cut and leathers...never got into any trouble though, just liked the style!

God...those were the days...long trips on the bike with my friends and lots of girls wanting a ride (on my bike)...now its just a memory!  :(  :(

Farmer
 :farmer:

sandy

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43:23 am »
Secretly I used to fancy some of the Rockers, went out with oneor two eventulay, but remember being very embaressed getting onto the back of an old Scooter when all the Rockers rumbled buy on their large Bikes, just did not like all that Black leather!!!!!! When I grew up I don't remember children having designer outfits or other status symbles, maybe a Parker Pen was all I aspired to? Sad had we have ALL been drawn into the advertisers laps, even though we think we may have not.....I must add, I feel I have had 2 youths!!!!!! (not men but moments in life!!!) ;D ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 02:54:15 pm »
hehe i was born in the early 80's an didn't have much so don't tar every one with the same brush ;)

Linz

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »
Hey Linz...how are things?  Just wait till the bump grows up and becomes a TAS member so he/she can read all this stuff...be the only kid in Britain with so many Uncles and Aunties!

Best wishes
Farmer  ;D
 :farmer:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 04:38:25 pm »
ooh I can remember watching all the rockers clad in their leathers, and admiring all their nice bikes.  I did eventually go out with a young Elivis look alike, clad in his leather jacket.  He used to take me for a spin on his Triumph Bonneville ...........goodness, that must be more years ago than I care to remember.  Saw him a while back, and the lovely black quiff is now replaced by a very bald head, but never mind, still have my memories, don't I!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 04:55:07 pm »
Do I  feel a new thread coming on?  Past loves - what are they like 10, 20, 30 years on?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:38:54 pm by sandy »

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 09:19:04 pm »
Oh dear - I think I'm going to fess up.. I was a biker. I cringe at the thought of those jeans that I tried to get so dirty they would stand up on their own. I am soooooo glad that my kids like clean jeans.
Do you remeber how much people used to smell? Not just bikers with dirty jeans but women with hairspray - people who didn't bath much....grannies of powder and oldness...  milk seemed to go off in a couple of days.  Mind you that probably showed it was unprocessed. Cigarettes - buses and telephone boxes stank.
Carbolic soap.... somethings have definitely changed for the better
kirsty

sandy

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 09:33:38 pm »
We were smelly, no one worn deoderant as far as I was aware!!!!! a bath once a week, IZAL toilet paper and we had no elastic, socks, pants and eventualy tights fell down itchy home made jumpers and trousers and I had some lovley national health specs that made behind my ears itch so I had rubber around them!!! NICE

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:39 pm »
yup! knickers that were half an inch thick and came up to your rib cage. Tasted apple juice for the first time when I was about 8 and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Talk about itchy jumpers....they were hell and damp sheets that never really warmed up in the winter and then the new improved bri nylon sheets that sparked when you rolled over. Rubbish waterproof clothing. Yep I love the naughties. Please do use the expression, I filched it from somewhere else.
kirsty

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 10:15:06 pm »
I  remember clearly when I was about 8 wearing a vest and on top of it, a liberty bodice - similar to my vest but it had buttons.  When us kids had a cold, my mum used to light something in the bedroom, to help us breathe...help us breathe?  The smell was enough to leave you gasping.  Cannot remember what it was called, though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS