Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and Goats inventory  (Read 8483 times)

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
Sheep and Goats inventory
« on: January 19, 2014, 07:44:29 pm »
We were given the option to make our return online or to complete the form and post it to defra.  Having spent my last life working in the IT industry I'm all for the ease of doing these tasks via the Internet, but don't get me started about the lack of rural broadband.  So did my submission on the 13th of December 18 days before the deadline.  Anyway yesterday I receive a card from defra informing me they had not yet received my annual inventory, below this request in bold text it says.

We would be grateful if you could now complete the survey at https://defra.experiencehorizon.com/SAG2013

When I login to the above page all the information I posted there in December is still there.  Anyone else get a card after completing their inventory online?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Sheep and Goats inventory
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »
Sorry I can't help you. I have never been asked to do one but it worries me, tried to talk to someone about it with no luck. Do you get SFP? Is it to do with SFP? Anything to do with the RPA?

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:35:12 pm »
Not been asked to do one of those yet, but I've had an identical experience with my tax return - filed it (online) mid-December, then get an automated reminder to do it two week into January (and after receiving an acknowledgment though the post confirming they'd received it) - Phoned up to confirm that it was sorted anyway.

I could understand it if I'd put in a paper return - there could be a backlog due to christmas hols - but maybe it's a special feature of computer systems run by Gov't bodies to send out reminders a month after a task has been completed online  ;D .

I suspect us taxpayers paid extra for that special feature too  ::) .

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:26 pm »
Exactly the same happened to me this year & last year---except I have 9 holding #s so they send me 9 cards!

Call them up and tell them what the score is, it's just DEFRA mayhem....you'll get used to it eventually  ;)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 09:42:48 pm »
Does every holding have to actually send in a stock inventory?
I was under the impression that the annual inventory had to be completed and kept as part of the flock book details in case of an inspection.
But I might very well got this wrong. If anybody could clarify I'd be grateful.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:35 pm »
In Wales it's a paper form. to be completed on 1st January and has to be in by 1st Feb.
4 boxes for sheep - ewes, ewe lambs put to tup, rams and others, one box for goats.

Put mine in the post box this evening.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:29:29 pm »
I'm sure they'll ask for it one day, but for the moment they don't and I'm not going chasing.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:35:39 pm »
Your right as well LadyK that information is recorded in your Holding Register.  The inventory requested by defra I refer to in my opening post wants details of number of Goats and Sheep, what you are keeping them for ie meat, milk, wool etc.  And as Dogwalker states  they also want to know what has been tupped.

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »
I was under the impression that all Holdings that were registered for sheep and goats would be asked to complete this annual survey, it states on the card that it is carried out as there is legislation in place that requires the information.  I'm a bit confused as to why we have not all received it.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:45 am »
I was under the impression that all Holdings that were registered for sheep and goats would be asked to complete this annual survey, it states on the card that it is carried out as there is legislation in place that requires the information.  I'm a bit confused as to why we have not all received it.

Because DEFRA do the survey whilst RPA issue holding numbers and communications isn't their strong point?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
Does every holding have to actually send in a stock inventory?
I was under the impression that the annual inventory had to be completed and kept as part of the flock book details in case of an inspection.
But I might very well got this wrong. If anybody could clarify I'd be grateful.

I (in Scotland) complete a Holding Register, which is a running total of the number of sheep on the holding during the calender year, starting with a 1st January figure then recording on / off movements. I do it and file it with the movement licences for the year attached but no-one's evr asked me for it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
But please be aware that RPA officials can turn up unannounced on the doorstep at any time and ask to see your farm records.  They did this one morning last Winter, querying the exact area of grazing with standards we get ELS for.  I had a conversation with him from the porch and he was standing at the corner of the farmhouse with just his head sticking round the corner - we'd all been up all night due to a particularly vicious strain of Norovirus that was then circulating in our area!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:18 am »
Sorry, I'm even more confused now  ???
I'm in Wales too, but I haven't received a card or any other form telling me to post the inventory somewhere?
So if I havent' received anything can I assume I don't need to do anything? (apart from recoding the inventory on my own holding register)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:26 am »
Sorry, I'm even more confused now  ???
I'm in Wales too, but I haven't received a card or any other form telling me to post the inventory somewhere?
So if I havent' received anything can I assume I don't need to do anything? (apart from recoding the inventory on my own holding register)
If you keep sheep or goats then you should have received a booklet in December and told to fill it in and send back on Jan 1st.  If you didn't then ring Defra/AH.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:51 pm »
Thanks, seems I need to ring DEFRA then to get a booklet for my 7 sheep...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS