Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dairy calf  (Read 18390 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Dairy calf
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:54:05 am »
We are giving some thought to buying a male dairy calf from our French neighbour to raise for meat.  Our aim when finances permit is to buy a Charolais to raise for beef (we buy it and the neighbours raise it and we have half each).

In the mean time we are giving some thought to raising a dairy calf to say four months ish.

What is involved and what space for grazing is required - what feed stuffs will we need to produce the rose veal.  It is that V word again but assume that would be the correct name for such a young animal.

Not interested in just feeding milk although I guess that could be part of it since they would normally feed from their mother.

I could only comtemplate this knowing that the animal will have the best life and the best food stuffs for it's short life.  If the feedback you give me suggests that we should leave well alone then that is exactly what we would do.

At the moment we take a quater of their calf that they raise for themselves and exchange for pork.  We have friends interested in some meat as well so really want to consider this option.

Thanks

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

ben10

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: Dairy calf
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:58:27 pm »
Kate,
Not sure about dairy cattle but charolais is fantastic meat, and the idea of going halves with neighbours sounds a good idea.
Would be interested in other peoples comments of dairy- just another idea to think of for the future

Ben

Happyhens

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Dairy calf
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:23:15 am »
If you read my previous posting I may be able to help.

Regards

J.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS