Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New spinning wheel problem  (Read 8315 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
New spinning wheel problem
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:14:08 am »
Just before Christmas, I bought a s/h Ashford Joy, double treadle. It works well and I love it but it does make a knocking noise as I treadle. I was at my spinning group today and asked some others who had had Joys and one suggested it could be the bobbins so I took the spares off and, sure enough, the knocking stopped.

At least, it did until most of the people had left and the noise level (chat) went down when the knocking resumed.  :roflanim: 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I have PMed the person on Ravelry who sold it to me but she hasn't replied.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: New spinning wheel problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 09:03:54 am »
Sorry Lesley, I can't help. I have noises on my own wheel that I can't get to the bottom of either.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:18 am »
Ummm... you know that when you set the wheel up for spinning, you need to swing the spare bobbins on their bobbin-holders forwards, out of the way of the revolving drive wheel, dontcha? 

Otherwise I don't know - Nat is a single-treadle, so I can swing the spare bobbins right forward (towards me) and out to the sides so they're well clear of the drive wheel and of course being single, central treadle, there's no way they would then foul the treadle.  I haven't used a dt Joy, so can't quite visualise whether there's a single / optimim spot for the spares to sit to not foul either the drive wheel or the treadles. 

If that didn't help, try asking on AUKS on Ravelry, or even the international Ashford Spinners group.  Someone will know!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:01:06 pm »
I haven't used a Joy or even seen one close up, but on my other wheels clanking usually comes from the connecting rods.
Somewhere else to look is the maidens which can swivel slightly apart so your in-use bobbin is less well supported and can slap about a bit on it's shaft.
Get someone else to treadle slowly while you have a good look and close-up listen all round to try and identify the source.
A clank is so off putting  :D   :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:10:16 pm »
No maidens on a Joy, FW, the flyer screws into the upright face of the wheel.  Pic here.

Clanks and clacks and squeaks all bother me, mainly because I hear them as the wheel telling me it's in pain!  The exception is the Haldane Shetland, she has a clickety whirring in use that I absolutely love :).  It does interfere with telly-watching, though, I must admit ;)

At one of the spinning groups I attend, one lady had a wheel positively screaming for oil.  She span on this noisy - and must have been hard to treadle - wheel for 2 hours, then just as she was leaving, turned to the lady next to her, who had been mentioning how often one needs to oil ones wheel, and asked her to show her where to oil.  Cath called me over, I oiled the wheel, we made her spin on it - bliss!  Utter silence!  She then packed up and left; as soon as she was out of earshot all of us that end of the room chorused, "Why couldn't she have let us do that two hours ago!  :tired:"
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:52:32 pm »
No maidens on a Joy, FW, the flyer screws into the upright face of the wheel.  Pic here.

Won't be that then  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:50:26 pm »
It's not the spare bobbins - I checked them, even took them off. My feeling is that it's the metal part of the connecting rods on the treadles. It definitely comes from that area. My OH bent down and listened while I was treadling. I suspect that one of the parts is slightly bent and catches on the other one.

There was a thread on Ravelry a while back about noisy Joys but I can't find it now. I did wonder if it was the person who sold me mine and that is why she was selling it.

Apart from the noise, which isn't too loud, I love spinning on her. I think I may sell Betsy (the Traveller) and I prefer the double treadle.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:53:23 am »
Glad you are loving your Joy!  One of my spinning friends (actually it was jaykay's mum!) loved her Joy so much she found she didn't use her Traddy, even thought about selling it.  She does use both now, though.

Back to the knocking...

I am confused now.  In your opening post you said

one suggested it could be the bobbins so I took the spares off and, sure enough, the knocking stopped.

but now you are saying that it isn't the bobbins ???

Anyways, if it's not the bobbins, here are some other thoughts.

Have you oiled all the hinges?  It's the only thing they tell you you must oil on a Joy, everything else is sealed bearings.  I still put a spot of oil on the flyer shaft as I change the bobbin, mind.  ;)

Also, try placing your foot further forwards, further back, treadling more with the toes, more with the heels - ring the changes, and see if the noise changes.  I found the action of the Joy quite different to the older Traddies and Travellers I'd been used to, and if you lag or beat the movement, that can cause a clack or squeak each time.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:13 pm »
Have you oiled it? A Joy needs oiled every 4-5 hours of spinning time, or every time you start spinning if you're having a day or two of a gap between spinning sessions. This is twice as much oiling as most other wheels require so unless you've read the Ashford instructions you might not have realised. I have a Joy and I oil it every spinning session, especially the treadle hinges and the flyer shaft. And every time it starts feeling a bit sluggish. Joys need a LOT of oiling.

Oiling instructions for the Joy are here, near the end. These are for the Joy2 which has resin hinges, if you have a Joy 1 with metal treadle hinges you'll need to oil them too.

http://www.ashford.co.nz/newsite/pdfs_assembly_guides/JASW22012_104.pdf

One other suggestion is that you've not locked the treadle plate down fully when open. There are little bits of plastic tubing which you slide down over the plate hinges, they won't go over unless the hinge is properly straight.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:41 am »
Sorry for the confusion, Sally. what I meant was that I couldn't hear it knocking so thought it had stopped when I took the bobbins off but, when there were fewer people chatting in there, I could hear it. 

I hadn't actually thought about oiling, so I'll give that a go tomorrow. SFW, thank you or the link.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 12:23:44 am »

I hadn't actually thought about oiling, so I'll give that a go tomorrow. SFW, thank you or the link.

If you've not oiled it since you got it before Christmas I would hazard a guess that some oil will be all that's required to sort things out. The rule of thumb is that if you buy a new or new to you wheel you should oil it lightly every day for a week just to make sure it's properly lubricated, then every ten hours of spinning or once a week, whichever is less. The Joy needs double the oil that most other wheels do though, so really if you're spinning two hours a day you should be oiling it every second day. If you've not oiled it since you got it though then go through the start up routine of oiling every single day for a while. It will make an amazing difference.  Trust me on this!  Make sure any dust or fibres are wiped off before you add the oil though, no point in putting clean oil on a dirty wheel.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 08:19:03 am »

If you've not oiled it since you got it before Christmas I would hazard a guess that some oil will be all that's required to sort things out. The rule of thumb is that if you buy a new or new to you wheel you should oil it lightly every day for a week just to make sure it's properly lubricated, then every ten hours of spinning or once a week, whichever is less. The Joy needs double the oil that most other wheels do though, so really if you're spinning two hours a day you should be oiling it every second day. If you've not oiled it since you got it though then go through the start up routine of oiling every single day for a while. It will make an amazing difference.  Trust me on this!  Make sure any dust or fibres are wiped off before you add the oil though, no point in putting clean oil on a dirty wheel.

Thankyou for that info SFW. I did give mine a good oiling when I got it a few months ago (it had been in someone's shed for 5 years) but haven't done so since. I will do it every day for a few days when I get back from my holiday.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:04:39 am »
Thanks, SWF. I'll do that. Didn't actually get round to it today but I will do before I try using it again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS