Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In Lamb ewe shot and skinned.. as well as show winning ram stolen!!!!!  (Read 10549 times)

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
Over the period of a month,
We've had a Ram stolen in broad day light, plus an in lamb ewe carrying twins shot and skinned in the field!!!

Attached is a photo of the North Country Cheviot Ram that's missing believed to have been taken to breed from rather than to cull.. but who knows!!!!
Flocks of Hill Radnors, Black Welsh Mountains, Balwens and North Country Cheviots

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: In Lamb ewe shot and skinned.. as well as show winning ram stolen!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »
that's just awful.  :(
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »
what's making it more suspicious is that yesterday morning after we took my lil one to school i came back to find wool spread across the road cut up into inch long strands!!
So it has to be someone local!!

And as for the ewe.. that had to be done by someone professional, the neatness of the job etc.
Hopefully they will choke on the meat or has severe stomach cramps as she was only treated with Dectomax 3 weeks prior.
Police, farmers weekly etc. have all been informed, just trying to do our very best to find the Ram although i don't see much hope of him coming back!!  :-[
Flocks of Hill Radnors, Black Welsh Mountains, Balwens and North Country Cheviots

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »
That is just dreadful!

We always keep all gates locked but that wouldn't have stopped what happened to your ewe. So sorry Katy

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:57:02 pm »
Murdering Ba.......rds so sorry to hear that Katy.  :rant: lts happening so frequent now. We are going to put up CCTV and make everyone aware of the fact as a deterrent

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »
Murdering Ba.......rds so sorry to hear that Katy.  :rant: lts happening so frequent now. We are going to put up CCTV and make everyone aware of the fact as a deterrent

We've put some up around various fields and sheds etc.
Thats the sad thing about it, a friend of mine had a cattle box full of sheep missing around the same time our ewe was shot!!
Sadly the police didn't want to know with us until we mentioned the ewe had been injected with Dectomax so was a threat if someone bought meat "out the back of the van".

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:44 pm »
As if things aren't hard enough!! Not sure if said person knew what they were doing if ewe in lamb. How far off was she? Was the ram tagged and tattooed? I think tattoos a bit safer, however  if they want it enough......so sorry.
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »
I'm so sorry.  The Police here are taking it a lot more seriously so I should be thankful.

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
Tell me about it tattycat

The way the ewe was skinned and had her meat taken off her suggests its someone thats been trained as a butcher etc.
although there we're hogg's in the same field.. i know which one i would've chosen if i wanted meat.
They even took the guts and the lambs etc..
Only left her skeleton and skin, even her ears we're cut off and taken.

She was due to lamb at the end of this month.

Happened a field away from the house too which is what's shook us up a fair bit!!

Yes he was tagged and also has a bolus in him and has a massive rip in his right ear which makes him easily identifiable, he's so well known down and around this way on the show circuit that if he's seen someone will recognise him straight away..

That's one good thing at least Bramblecot, what worries us is that their brave enough to do it a field away from the house etc.. and the police don't really care.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:37 pm »
That's so horrible :(
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:36:41 pm »
Nothing is safe these days. You think the fact that someone shot her would be enough to have the police worried.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37:29 pm »
It may be work contacting your local papers to do a report on it. Keep you chin up.
Sheep

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:37:32 pm »
Where exactly are you, Katy? Do you want us to circulate the info?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

WildWelshShepherdess

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Conwy
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 11:42:25 pm »
Hello Liz,
We're based in Carmarthen..
I've got the local newspaper involved and the pembrokeshire farmer as well as the farmers weekly!!

Its more to make people aware of te fact its happening and to report it etc.
But i wont say no to more publicity.. :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 11:31:49 am »
That's horrible. My daughter spotted a pile of fresh pluck (guts) from about nine sheep hidden in the wood at the side of our land last Spring.  It's not fenced and the tyre marks showed a van had backed in and dumped it.  A few days later the same sort of thing was found in a wood a few miles away - clearly a professional butchery job.  The Police had a look, and so did the foxes, which demolished the lot after five days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS