Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slap marks  (Read 3147 times)

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
Slap marks
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:59:25 pm »
Hi all..

I'm planning on getting some pigs in February for the freezer.

We had some two years ago for the freezer and they had the slap mark of the person we got them off. And the abbitoir said that it needed our own slap mark on them?

Is that true???

3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Slap marks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »
Yes when pigs go for slaughter they need to be tagged or slapmarked with the herd number of the holding that's sending them, ie yours.

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »
Ok that's great to know! Do you know the best place to get a slap mark? I get my sheep tags from shear well.. Do they do them do you know?

Think I rather have the slap mark then tags

3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 08:44:37 am »
Check with the abattoir first, some want them tagged, some want them slapped. I should imagine most of the tag suppliers will stock slap marking gear. Tagging is easier and less fiddly though it onlt takes a second when they're in the trailer ready to go.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:59:28 am »
My abattoir were happy to take either tagging or slap marking. We decided to do the slap mark and bought ours from Supplies for smallholders, although you can get them elsewhere.
Unsure of how to do it we didn't want to leave it until the last minute, in case it went wrong or we chickened out, so slap marked a couple of days before they went. If you do it while they are feeding they hardly flinch.
It didn't seem to show up much through the hair so we took the marking kit to the abattoir with us to be on the safe side. We needn't have worried. When we got the meat back the slap marks were clearly showing on each shoulder.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:07:13 am »
In the good old days when we had a big abattoir nearby that did pigs, the pigs were slap marked by the abattoir workers as you unloaded them and you merely noted the numbers that your pigs had been allocated.

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:38:09 pm »
Thank you everyone for replying :)
I'll will ring up the Abbitoir this afternoon to see what the prefer
And then I will start looking into buying it :)

Thanks all!!:)

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »
I wanted to buy a slap marker but the place I usually buy from, Daltons, suggested checking with the slaughterhouse I intended to use first as some of them have their own requirements. As my choices were limited to two I phoned the one I anted to use and sure enough, they would only accept metal tags. they gave the reason as the scalding bath process and the metal tags standing up to it. I was very worried about tagging the pigs as by then they were too big to wrestle with, but I needn't have worried as they just carried on eating as I punched tags into their ears. Couldn't believe an animal would be impervious to pain when eating but they were :o
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS