Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do and where?  (Read 5250 times)

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
What to do and where?
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:28:50 am »
Hi Guys

As some have maybe seen, over in the Welcome/newbie bit, I'm moving up to a remote croft, in North West Scotland beginning of April.

In preparation, I'm reading lots, trying to get as much help and inspiration as I can. The land and facilities are somewhat there, albeit a bit shabby and needing work. But I'm thinking of ways to develop it all and the best places to 'put' things - such as livestock, ponds, raised beds etc.

In order to get my head around what I now have (not being there to look around yet) I created a plan/map of the place. You can check this out at my blog: http://www.offgrid-online.co.uk/blog.html

Would be great to know what people think of my plans and ideas, tell me I'm nuts putting "that" there, or suggest other things, I haven't thought of; to make the most of the place.

Thanks.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What to do and where?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »
You need some Shetland cattle to help get rid of that rough scrub  ;D

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:53:00 pm »
Was hoping the goats might help with that - the cattle may be a bit big and beyond me at first.  ;)

Some of the other crofters up there do have the cattle and I think the present/previous owner let the 'neighbours' use the land a bit, for grazing; so I may keep that tradition up, if it works with the other plans.  :)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »
I think you'd be better off with your greenhouse in Zone 1 as you'll be opening and closing it up and attending to seedlings in there regularly.

For the chickens why not put a small permanent pen close to the house for the winter where it is easiest to get to them and then the rest of the year rotate them maybe Salatin style.

If you're going for goats you either need shelters in each of the areas in which you put them or something mobile. We have a mobile goat house that is on skids and can be towed from field to field.

Some breeds of sheep would also tackle the scrubby areas and be easier to care for in terms of shelter requirements than goats.

In terms of ponds, raised beds etc don't make any decisions now. You really do need the year of observation for that one. We now have a pond in the area that was sodden every year but wasn't where we expected to put one (it's at one of the higher points on the land but there is a spring there).

For the veg beds you really need to observe microclimate very closely for a year as the growing season is so short you need to optimise positioning. You may be surprised at quite how short the growing season is this far north.

One thing you may find useful is one of the weather stations that connect to your PC. That way you can track temperature etc across the year so you know when first and last frosts are likely to be etc.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:43 pm »
Thanks for all that clydesdaleclopper.  :)

Agree on the greenhouse, however it is already there and in situ. Once up there I'll see how viable and easy it is to move it and if it'll fit closer to house.

I'll have a google about "Salatin style", on the chickens, thanks.

I'd thought about the shelter(s), but one mobile one might be a better idea. Hadn't really considered sheep at this stage - having read that goats are a bit easier for beginners. But I think I may have more of a read up on them. I know that some of the other crofters/neighbours have these too.

I agree on the waiting for the pond and beds. Will probably start small and try to grow some things in the greenhouse at first anyway. Good advice, thanks.

I was guessing the growing season would be somewhat shorter than down South, for outside growing, but hoped to utilise the greenhouse and possibly erect a small polytunnel to compensate. It's only really for us mainly, with any surplus being sold or given away (favours for favours etc.).

The weather station for PC thing sounds very interesting, so I'll have a google on that too. Let's hope there are Mac versions of any software needed - being the designer and all!  ;D

Thanks again for taking the time to give all the advice. Much appreciated.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:11 pm »
when are you hoping to move up there?

it looks beautiful...

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »
Thanks Bloomer

Working towards 1st April - thought it was an appropriate date for it! :D

Being serious, the main reason for this is to have a nice, long 'season', to get used to it all, get a few important jobs done etc. before the shorter days and winter weather.

It is a very special place...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:10:09 pm »

I'll have a google about "Salatin style", on the chickens, thanks.

It's Joel Salatin - he rotates his chickens in mobile coops after his larger livestock have been in the fields. He has a few books on different aspects of livestock and there are lots of discussions of his approach on the permies.com forum (hope it's okay to talk of another forum here mods  :eyelashes: ). There is also a Scottish permaculture yahoo group that you may find helpful if you aren't already on there.

If you are going for a mobile shelter for goats ours was made by a chap near Inverness and we have been very pleased with it. I can pass on his details if you are interested.

Goats are definitely not easier than sheep to keep. Much as I love my girls, I have to admit that my sheep require far less input from me than the goats do. We have Gotland x Shetland sheep and they happily eat weeds and certainly like eating the gorse as I discovered rather painfully when I was processing their fleeces  ::)

With the short growing season one of the biggest challenges is getting stuff to finish at the end of the season. If you are going for a polytunnel one of the major considerations for the cover is the amount of light that gets through as keeping the perishing cold off isn't always enough and light levels get very low up here.

This is a really useful resource http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/regional/ for finding out broadly what your weather conditions across the year are likely to be there though it does cover rather a large area.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »
Thanks again Clydesdaleclopper. This is all really good advice.   :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »
I haven't looked at your map, but you may better start off with cattle (borrowed from the neighbour or your own local-ish breed) as they a) don't mind the rain and therefore can probably out-winter to some extent and the Highlands of Scotland was never goat-owning country mainly because of the weather and scarcity of hay.

If you do decide to get goats, make sure you get at least one billy, as you otherwise with travel for miles and miles to get a goat mated that may only be in season for a few hours.... also make sure you do know enough about them to be able to deal with minor problems etc on your own - the vet may be very expensive.

You could probably learn about cattle from your neighbours, unless there is already goats up there?

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:06 am »
Well, This is a strange way to say Hello to my new neighbour.

Guardian Croft borders onto my Croft, so will be pretty hard not to meet, and Floyd (Border Collie) will  make sure that he says Hello, probably on more that one occasion.

As for Broadband, bear in mind that you have strict download limits, which can go surprisingly fast. You can get a 20mb package from Tooway with higher download limits.  You can do the installation yourself with the help of a smartphone app. www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk/packages/

See you in April,  Bring a Midge hat and PLENTY of repellent!

Lee & Floyd

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:59:50 am »
Wow, Hi Lee and Floyd!

Wondered if any neighbours might 'spot' me at some point. Great to 'cyber-meet' you too and can't wait to meet in person.   :)

Yes, been having a good look at the Sat BB and the limits etc. The Hyspeed guys - that Andrew already uses (and seemed bit easier to just carry on with) have a 10 or 15 gb download 'limit' (depending on monthly cost). But, having checked, the Tooway stuff does have bigger limits. Might have to have a rethink...

I had found the app, to align things etc., probably good for when the winds knocks it a bit too, I guess. I'm also going to see if my phone (which had a good signal when we visited) could be used as a backup 'modem', with that tethering thing (as I have a certain amount of data allowance), if anything goes wrong Sat-wise.

Until April then, and thanks for the midge heads up.  ;D

Dale

Thanks Anke

I think the present/previous owner has some kind of arrangement for a neighbour to graze his cattle - so I'd be able to get a feel for having them then I guess. Had a bit of a read on the goats and it certainly sounds like they'd be 'hardy' enough and enjoy the scrub n stuff. But they mainly appeal as I like Goat's milk more than cows milk (been drinking it for a couple years now); so was hoping to save a few quid buying it in.  :)

Good advice on the vet stuff and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Not sure if any of the neighbours already have them - Lee and Floyd?

Any livestock (except maybe the chickens) will be quite a while down the road, time-wise. I want to get a feel for the place, settle in, make ready and then consider what may work and what needs we have re. feeding ourselves and what we can and can't buy in easily.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:38 am »
No one keeps Goats for Milk anymore on the Penisula.and I am not sure if you would get much interest in people buying it as Raw Cows milk has been tried in the  past.

You will probably find that you will have to replace your battery bank, as the batteries there may not have been treated as well as they should of.  These can be sourced from Hugh on the peninsula http://scoraigwind.co.uk/ but are certainly not cheap!

Also the boat is rather small for the Loch and the very changeable conditions and judging by your facebook pictures you are a lot bigger than Andrew!  It almost got washed away during the last storms but I have secured it in place now.

You certainly have interesting plans but I wouldn't invest to much time on the tent site, as it is just the norm that someone comes along and asks politely and they are told were to pitch as long as they are not planning on staying too long.

Is it just yourself coming up or do you have a family, the school could do with some more kids.

See you soon.

GuardianCroft

• Joined Jan 2014
    • Offgrid-Online
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 12:07:11 pm »
I wasn't necessarily hoping to sell the milk, more for self-consumption really. I just like to drink lots of it; so thought it would save a few pennies and trips to get it.  :)

Interesting about the battery bank and thanks again for the heads-up. Will have to see what happens on that one I guess. Good to know that Hugh can help 'supply' them.

Yes, the one big nervous/fear is the boat thing. I'm sure once I've done it a few times it'll be fine. I had considered trying to get a bigger one, but was worried about how to access it/get it up the shore etc. I'm planning to try and build some sort of more permanent Jetty type thing there; to make things a little easier, getting in and out -stop any washing away stuff and maybe be able to get a bigger 'craft'. Of course, if I/we manage to do something like this, you are welcome to use it as a 'joint' jetty.   :)

Oh, and the Facebook pic is very flattering - size-wise! I'm only about 5'8' and about 12 stone, but yes, a bit bigger than Andrew. Hoping being a bit stronger may help both me and neighbours - I've been working out for the last couple of years, to prepare...  ;D

Yes, they are only really loose ideas and potential things at the moment, with the 'real' decisions being made once in and more familiar. Yeah, the yurt is already there for anyone wanting a bit more 'luxury', so suspect I'll just make a bit of space for those who come in with their home on their backs.

Just me initially (with various 'helpers' visiting over the first few months). Hoping my wife will then join me 'full-time' later in the year. 'Kids' are too old for school now. Youngest is about to finish 6th Form and then plans to go to Uni - his top choice being Inverness (which is handy!), Wife will probably come once he is settled in there, around Sept.

Maybe, if it all works out and the 'kids' like it up there, when they visit, they'll have grand-children (at some point) and settle with us. Would be nice to help populate the school.  ;)

If you want to, you can also email me at guardian.croft@gmail.com (and I can then give you my personal email too).   :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS