Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preserving apples  (Read 7815 times)

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Preserving apples
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:24 pm »
Has anyone successfully kept apples through the winter? I've read about wrapping them singly in paper and lining them up on a shelf in a cool shed but does it work?
Can they be frozen whole or do they have to be stewed first?
I've tried chutney - not too appetising - and the frozen stewed stuff makes terrible apple tart. Cider looks like too much work and a lot of equipment.
I'll stop whinging now but would appreciate ideas.

HappyHippy

Re: Preserving apples
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:02:29 pm »
don't know if whole apples will freeze I'm afraid.
But how's about making apple pie, eve's puddings, apple muffins etc and freezing them instead ?  :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »
I froze apples I got last year but haven't had time to check them out yet.  I would think they'd be good for stewing, crumbles, pies and tarts.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:18:57 pm »
We made 12 jars of apple sauce yesterday and now have 12 gallons of apple juice with another barrowful of apples to do this evening. :)

Unicorn

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:12:57 pm »
Hello Muc

You can store apples wrapped in newspaper seperately, then stored on lats, like the old
shelfs that you used to have in airing cupboards (Hot Presses).

You can buy units but they are easy to make out of 2 by one.  Ours is about five feet high
and has roughly 8 trays in it.

You can store other vegetables as well - the shelving has to be kept in a dry, airy room, damp
will spoil the apples.  We used to keep ours in a large porch area that was open to one side all the time.

You could also core the apples, and chop them into slices, and dry them in the oven, or above an Aga.

Google drying apples or preserving food.  I have a good book on this but just can't put my hand on it
at the moment

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:14:19 pm by Unicorn »

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll try some of those tricks.
I did find an American website where they recommend storing fruit and veg in the 'root cellar' under the house.
They obviously don't have to contend with damp. If I had a cellar, I could keep fish in it.
Better go and start harvesting as there is a break in the rain.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »
WE stored cookers and eaters that way alst year - the cookers kept until March! but the eaters got a bit soft. They tasted OK but the texture was poorer.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »
You could try making 'apple cheese'. Its like very sweet stewed apple. You can add spices to the mix (cinnamon, etc.) if you want and use it as a sweet. It keeps for a long time if kept dry (e.g. in a jar). There was a recipe in the Times a while back:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article2569447.ece

Or try googling 'apple cheese'

If cider looks like too big a job, you can make some apple juice and save buying it from the supermarket. However, it doesn't keep more than a couple of days unless you add chemicals or cook it and even then it is prone to fermenting if any yeast gets in.

If you have a regular source why not invest in the kit to make cider. You need something to serve as a press. You can make or buy as you prefer and then use beer making kit to do the fermentation. I use cans of apple syrup and make a reasonable cider but have planted a dozen apple trees this Spring in the hope of having enough to make a stock of cider as well as having apples for eating and cooking.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »
I once wrapped about two hundred apples in tissue. when I went to get them in February, Mice had eaten into every one! I find that if you quarter them and poach them in a little syrup, you can pack them into jars and freeze them ( the apples that is, not the mice!) they make lovely pies in the depth of winter.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 05:25:48 pm »
Mmmm. Mouse tatin. Lovely  ;D

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 06:07:09 pm »
That sounds good, Sheila. I assume they still have a bit of crunch left in them.
The problem with stewing, pureeing and even freezing is that you end up with mush, which isn't any good for apple tarts. And apple tart is the only reason for growing apples :yum:
Okay, apart from cider...and apple juice...and apple sauce on the pork...

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
12 apples pies today, made and frozen.
kevin

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:13:02 pm »
Tried stewing them and then bottling them? (Kilner jars).

BAKEWELL11

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 05:30:12 pm »
can't you freeze tarts?
We wrapped all our cookers todays and hopefully found a rat free dry dark room to store them in, hoping the pigs and horses will enjoy them thru the darker months.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »
you can dry them in slices, nice snacks. Either in a low oven or a dehydrator (food dryer), suppose an airing cupboards would do, too.

fruit leather

jelly or butter (cloudy jelly  ;D)

I freeze mine only lightly stewed for tarts with sugar and cinnamon already added, nice!

mincemeat

:yum: :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS