Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: finishing lambs  (Read 3429 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
finishing lambs
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:14:27 am »
I am planning to have some lambs killed close to the end of the month. Obviously I will need to condition score them but I was wondering who could offer advice on the best way to ensure they are well finished with good  composition. WHat should I feed them and how much per head?

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: finishing lambs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »
thanks for your advice. They are for my freezer and friends. I am also spit roasting one for my birthday celebrations (should be fun).

I am concerned about them getting too fat and likewise don't want to get them back and they look like rakes. They are being butchered on site so I will probably ask advice from the slaughterman who is very good apparently.

Have started to offer some sheep nuts once a day even though they have plenty of grass. Only 3 weeks to slaughter date so just thought it would finish things nicely.

So you are saying the dead weight is half of the live weight? And I am told half of the dead weight is meat and half is waste (bone etc). And that you should allow between quarter and half a pound per person. So a 40 kilo lamb will yeild 10 kilo of meat - 22lb and feed around 60 people?
Unfortunately I have no scales for live animals. They are Dorset wethers around 7 months old.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:02 pm »
if you are wanting to add a layer of fat then try and get a barley blend for your lambs this helps them put a layer of fat on and is cheaper than a higher protien nut
Ian

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:33 am »
Sorry to be ignorant but what is a barley blend?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:14:57 pm »
Its basically your sheep nuts which has had some of the protien taken out and replaced with crushed or rolled barley. Its better for putting weight onto well grown lambs
Ian

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:38:29 pm »
Dorset wethers live on air! grab hold of one and give it a good prod....if you can feel sharp bones feed it if you can just about feel bones in there somewhere leave be, .....if it wobbles and you cannot find any bones its too fat ;)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS