Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming pigs  (Read 3711 times)

jmchugh

• Joined Jul 2009
Worming pigs
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:52:46 am »
Hi,

Hope someone can give me some advice on worming pigs. I have 2 16 wk old saddleback pigs that I noticed yesterday evening have some worms in their poo can they be wormed with a pour on or a dose down the neck or is injection the only option ?

How much should I give them and how often ?

Have cattle and goats but pigs are new to me !

John

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Worming pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:47:55 am »
Not sure if you can use pour on or not John, I use paramectin injection (stick it in behind the ear).

Are you planning on eating them? 16 weeks is a arkward time to worm!

jmchugh

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
Hi ,

Yes planning on slaughter around November. Have been checking for worms every other day and yesterday evening was first sign of worms.
Obviously should have wormed them once they arrived like I do with other livestock I buy in during the year, will be smarter the next time.

I assume an injection now and a final one in 2-3 wks will sort it out and still leave enough time before slaughter ?

Can the worms have much harm done to quality of the meat. They 2 pigs appear to be thriving well and in great form.

John

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:52:52 pm »
You can inject with noromectin (ivomectin), this will kill all internal and external parasites, it has a meat withdrawal for pigs of 28 days. You shouldn't need to inect more than once. You may have lost the livers to fluke, but not sure if by injecting now they would recover if they'd had that?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:36:55 am »
I have a feeling if you give it around 4 weeks the liver might have recovered.  Its what I read somewhere.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS