Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags or slap mark  (Read 2760 times)

gheath90

• Joined Dec 2013
Ear tags or slap mark
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:37 am »
Hi all,

My first lot of pigs are almost ready and I was wondering what is better to use ear tags or slap marking?
What so you think is kinder for the pig?

Many thanks,

Georgie

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Ear tags or slap mark
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:11 am »
I have only ever ear tagged.  I find it easy and 99% of the time the pigs don't bat an eyelid.

Always make sure they are face down gorging on pig nuts and avoid any veins as they bleed like buggery!

The other thing to do is to remember to let go!!!  My dad tried tagging some and squeezed tight but didnt let go.  The pig pulled away and ripped it out  :-[ :-[

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:57 am »
Slap marking is easy peasy too, and again, 99% of the time they don't bat an eyelid, especially if you do it while they are feeding.   The only downside is having to buy a slapper with your herd number on, which is quite expensive, but if you are going to keep pigs for several years, it is well worth investing in one.   It is not unkind or cruel at all and I don't believe it causes anything other than very fleeting discomfort lasting one second or so.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »
We put in metal tags the night before they go whilst they're eating their tea. The few days before we fondle their ears a bit so they get used to them being touched and find this helps too.
mandy :pig:

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »
Slap marking is easy peasy too, and again, 99% of the time they don't bat an eyelid, especially if you do it while they are feeding.   The only downside is having to buy a slapper with your herd number on, which is quite expensive, but if you are going to keep pigs for several years, it is well worth investing in one.   It is not unkind or cruel at all and I don't believe it causes anything other than very fleeting discomfort lasting one second or so.

Second this  ;)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:48 pm »
Does it not depend on the requirements of the abattoir? Though I agree tagging is very easy, and cheap too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS