Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Pekin bantam  (Read 5587 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Broody Pekin bantam
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:09 pm »
We have a broody Pekin, she has been sitting (though not on any eggs)  for six weeks or so now. We can lift her out of the coop, and she will then eat & drink a bit, but very soon returns to the coop to sit. She seems to be losing weight now, how can we get her to break this habit ?.

Badger

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Broody Pekin bantam
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:43:39 pm »
Can you not just shut her out of the coop? I'd have thought in this weather if she has nowhere warm and cosy to be, it'll break her quite soon. Otherwise you can create an anti-broody coop which is pretty much the same thing - wire base, nowhere cosy and dark to hide. I've got a dog cage which I imagine would do the job although I'd be reluctant to use it at this time of year if there's any hint of rain - unless you can put it under shelter somewhere - or to leave her alone in it at night when it's getting nippy.

Others plunge them into cold water to take their body temperature down. I believe it's effective although the only time I've tried it (when the weather was much warmer), I lowered one gently into the goose bath and she took absolutely no notice and dashed straight back to her nest. Maybe I was too gentle about the whole thing.

H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:17:59 am by HesterF »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:10:04 am »
Blocking the nest boxes is usually the way to start Badger. At this stage she will be very weak and going into cold water may simply kill her -not a technique I would ever advocate under any circumstances. A cage off the ground is the best way to go, but she must have food and water and be kept dry. Problem you have is the temperature this time of year coupled with her physical condition. The right way to go is to break her broodiness as she is loosing a lot of energy raising her body temperature to incubate phantom eggs. But there is always a risk that she has now gone too far and breaking her or leaving her will have a bad ending. Wish you the best of luck.

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:11:25 am »
Remove the bedding in her house and any nest boxes works for me all the time!!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »
Thanks to everybody for their advice. Blocking nestboxes is problematical, as still have other hens laying. Dipping in water is a non starter for us.. Perhaps we can try to isolate her as suggested. With hindsight, we have probably left her to long, and should have encouraged her outside sooner. Will keep you all posted....many thanks.

Badger

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:18 pm »
I have a small metal dog cage, I take out the plastic liner, place the hen in the cage then tie the cage to the wall 1ft off the ground and place bird in it. You could also just place the cage on top of another cage - as long as the heat can not be trapped under the hens belly. Give her some water and food (I use show cups)

it normal takes 2 -3 days, you will know when she is off her broodyiness as she will be stood up making a fuss to be let out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS