Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Advice Please  (Read 3668 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Feeding Advice Please
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
We have a small flock, they are on grass which is of the quality you'd expect this time of year; soggy and fairly short. Am giving them hay, which they might pick at but prefer to sit on.
Unsure if any of the ewes are in lamb, if they are, the estimated lambing time would be April.
There are a couple of wethers in with them, and the ram.
They have a lick which I will be replacing with a higher sugar content lick once this one is gone.

My queries:
Should they be getting any hard feed just yet?
Any recommendations for which brand higher sugar sheep licks?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Feeding Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:13:02 pm »
If they aren't interested in eating the hay then they are either getting enough grass or they don't like your hay (unlikely).  Therefore I would say that they don't need any hard feed now.

Lambing in April, if you were to feed them then I wouldn't start until beginning of March.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »
I wouldn't feed and verge lick called lifeline ewe and lamb which you give them 6 weeks off lambing it also improves  colostrum too

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:41:45 pm »
If they aren't interested in eating the hay then they are either getting enough grass or they don't like your hay.....

I wonder. They've always been fussy about their hay.  :huff:
It's not the nicest we've had. Summer came late for us last year so it's long stalked (lots of seed), hard and not the softer sort preferred.

---------------

*  We've got over 250 bales of the stuff. Might have to buy more as an alternative?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:43:58 pm by OhLaLa »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:43:26 pm »
I'm no expert but perhaps you could just buy one or two small bales and see if they are interested in that.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 02:11:54 pm »
HF, I've had a search online but I can't find any online seller that sells Lifeline Ewe & Lamb (or SUPAlyx). My local supplier does not sell them either.

(Good idea Bionic, unfortunately no small bales around these here parts, very large rolls only). Still might have to buy one in though and see if that's why..........  :-\

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »
Have you stuck your own nose into a bale and smelled it?  If it smells of anything but that wonderful sunny-day hay smell it could be going a bit dusty/mouldy and explain their reluctance.  Have you e:mailed the manufacturers of the lick you want to use?  I had to and they referred me to a small, local distributor I hadn't ever heard of before.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »
Sorry but it sounds like you are giving them to much hay and they are wasteing it , you need a rack of some kind, even bits of weldmesh will work  , cut down the amount fed every day until they eat it all with a small waste on the ground .  Not sure why you need a high sugar ? lick   most "licks " are just an alternative feed to nuts and sold on %protein  .  Try CRYSTALIX or  RUMENCO                Just noticed your other post about racks  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:57:28 pm by shep53 »

rikkib

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:51 pm »
My advice wrong or right would be to watch them for a hour or so,if they are hungry I find they won't settle an d are constantly mooching about when content with food they seem to be more relaxed. I keep soay. Have very little grass ad I feed small amounts of concentrate every two days with ad lib hay and licks,.They are not fat but are realy chilled this I find also stops them trying to escape into my heighbours fields as for wasted hay a good rack with holes no bigger than 50 mm solves the problem

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS