Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to get a tup?  (Read 2520 times)

pauline

• Joined Sep 2009
When to get a tup?
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:03 am »
In your opinion how many sheep would I have to keep to justify having a tup? We would like to go down the line of keeping a native/rare breed and due to the fact that we will be in the highlands (Sutherland) and will not possibly have access to a tup of the breed that we decide on. I don't want choose a breed just because it will be a good cross with a cheviot etc. I know we can do A.I. but would keeping a tup be less hassle ???
Thanks!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: When to get a tup?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »
you would need a companion for when he is not with the girls. if you have enough land then a couple of extra sheep are not a big deal. our ram is friendly or he could just be thick were not sure yet. if your going to raise rare breeds remember that you won't be able to keep the lambs or you will need to switch him every couple of years.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: When to get a tup?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:27:02 pm »
also you don't necessarily need to keep two entire tups as companions to each other a castrated tup of sufficient age and size will be just as good a companion but remember to run both with the ewes otherwise they will fight when you re-pair them up

generally we allow one tup per forty ewes or 1: 10 if its a tup lamb 1:20 for shearling first timer

when our flock first started we shared a tup with another small flock. running both flocks together for tupping time ( we started with 6 ewes, now have 60)
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS