Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Cockeral?  (Read 4186 times)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Which Cockeral?
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:58:08 am »
I bought 6 meat birds from the market a few months to bring on for the freezer. I have two left now and they're a little too old for the pot,and also laying triple yolkers! So thought I'd use them to breed from in the spring. Currently they weigh in at around 12lbs each,are pure white and I have no idea what breed (not that I care really either). So,what breed of coq should I be looking for to continue getting big birds? Is there a specific breed of coq that would produce colour sexed chicks?  Oh,I'm in France and so sourcing a breeder might be a tad difficult,cheers.......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Which Cockeral?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »
I seem to recall that rhode island reds when crossed create sex linked prodgeny. Not sure which way round it is but one gender is a yellow chick, the other gingery.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:16:59 pm »
I believe that the breeds with 'bar' in the name produce sex linked chicks.  I think Rosemary told us that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »
i thought that a rir x light sussex breeds sex linked birds white = meat brown (red) layers  (both from the utility size birds)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »
No, that can't be right because you can get white birds with brown markings from that cross.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:59:21 am »
Thanks everyone,will try and source a RIR before Spring......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:07 am »
Asked my neighbour about this, he said that yellow chicks will be meaty boys and gingery chicks will be egg layers. he then rambled on about recessive genes and lost me.

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 10:22:35 am »
not one to disagree but i think i am right

rir x light sussex
rir x white wyandotte
buff rock x light sussex
brown leghorn x white wyandotte
buff leghorn x light sussex
buff leghorn x white wyandotte
wellsummer x white wyandotte
black leghorn x barred rock
indian game x light sussex
indian game x faverolle

all the above are males x females
the chicks grow to be good layers and meat birds this is how all the hybrids started.

good poultry keeping page 60 i was given this book by an old farmer about 30 years ago it never let me down all the above are said to be sex linked i have tried a few with good sucess

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 02:00:35 pm »
If you fancy a play go to chicken calculator at http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html.
It's set up to tell you what colour offspring you will get with different colour/pattern parents.  With a bit of patience you could figure out what colour cock you needed to produce different coloured chicks from white hens.

I've crossed a gold brahma with light sussex hens and think I've got white males and ginger females.  Just run this though the chicken calculator and it seems to be giving me the same answer.  Will know for certain when they start crowing and laying eggs!!

Good luck!

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »
 :chook:that sounds about right its fun isnt it the waiting game just remember when you can sex them to make a note of the parentage and out come for future reference

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS