Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to feed my lambs  (Read 4176 times)

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
what to feed my lambs
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:54:58 pm »
hi Ive just got 2 tups which Ive been told are 7 months and so not sure what to feed ,was told they been giving lamb nuts but couldn't get any today ,they are blackface if thats makes any difference,thank you vicky

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: what to feed my lambs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:42:17 am »
Why not grass?

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:50:15 pm »
they are on grass but was told to also feed them as well so not sure if just grass ok ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:52:11 pm »
I'm sure it will be if you get hard feed as soon as you can - perhaps a nearby farmer has some to spare for today?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:55:26 pm »
thank you i got some sheep nuts today but couldn't get lamb nuts , i don't now what the difference is but have fed them sheep nuts, hope that was ok dont want to make them sick my boy would be upset as he has named one

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:06:02 pm »
Hi Vickylou, I'm a tad concerned. I get the impression that you have not kept sheep before - have you read any books on the subject? We can help on this forum but you do need to read up. Sheep need quite a lot of care. Feety trimming, worming, fly strike etc.

Are you keeping them for meat? If so, discourage your son from naming them!

Your sheep should be fine on grass alone at this time of year - unless you are trying to fatten them quickly for killing. Although it is handy to give them a handful of nuts in the bottom of a bucket once a week to keep them coming to you.

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »
hi yes we kept sheep 20 years ago and only for fatting up, but on good grazing and in england Ive now moved to Scotland , and the grazing is not so good Ive noticed that the local farmers feed there sheep as well and where i got them from was told to give them lamb nuts but on trying to get some was told that they should have sheep nuts hence asking , i seem to have forgoten some things from when i was 18 and 4 kids later my brain dont work well any more

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:02 pm »
Forgive me for butting in, but if they are tups you should be feeding a ram feed or a feed aimed at older lambs,  the local feed suppliers should be able to advise you on that score. I presume they are not going to the butcher as one has been named, :P but if the grass is poor they should be fed but not to they extreme, leave that for the winter.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:05 pm »
one is going to slaughter we keeping one hence he got away with naming one and thank you didn't think to ask for diffrent types of sheep feed god think i left my brain in bed  ::) and i only fed 2 hand fulls as they didn't seem botherd ,will check them again tonight

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:19 pm »
You're not going to kep one on it's own are you?

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 08:03:46 pm »
no I'm going keep both until i can get some more so they always got company hopeful some blackface ewes , but there will always be 2 or more

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS