Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - fertilised eggs  (Read 2274 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Wanted - fertilised eggs
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »
I'm going to have a go with the incubator I was given :fc:

I know I can buy the eggs off ebay, but wonder if anyone here down fertilised eggs?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Wanted - fertilised eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:56 pm »
Where's "here down"? Your location isn't in your profile.

What kind of eggs- hen, duck, geese? Its really early yet for fertile eggs I think. My banties aren't anywhere near laying yet. Guess it might be different farther south of course.

Beth

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:58:04 pm »
We've just bought our first hatching eggs from ebay, should be here tomorrow, borrowed a friends incubator, got 12 eggs going to try a few in the borrowed incubator and try a few in one I've made myself.
Kept me awake last night thinking about it  :thinking: have you hatched via an incubator before KC? This will be our first time.

Good luck finding what your looking for.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:06:16 pm »
I've used a friend's incubator to hatch eggs  - ducks I was lucky with - got three females - unfortunately foxy got them  all when they were about a year old.
Pheasants all died in teh shell bar two which died within 2 days.

Chicks - 3 males came from 5 eggs, same with the ones we got from Sue (DBE) -  5 males from 9 eggs.

So if you hatch eggs decide what you will do with the males as you may get a lot of them.  :gloomy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
I've been reading about when & how to dispatch just incase, I'd quite like to try for the table.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:36:43 pm »
Far too early in the year - if you wait another month at least, better two, your hatch rate will be much better!

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:39:27 am »
Thanks Anke,  I'll wait a while and use the time to test the incubator and get temperatures right :)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:28:12 am »
I'll have some Welsex eggs for you if and when you're ready. These are a posh version of the traditional Rhode Island Red cross Light Sussex but by using a Welsummer instead of the RIR, The offspring lay a much darker egg than the RIRxLS. The chicks are also sex linked. As day olds the cocks are white and the hens are brown.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:56:09 pm »
I've got 3 birds sitting on eggs, going to be mixed silkie, ixworth, austrilorps, bit not really wanting chicks just now, going to candle them the next few days and get them sorted but u welcome to anything fertile
I'm Lanarkshire

Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS