Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1597 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
What now?
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »
Our lovely ANx gave birth to two lovely kids. One of each sex.

Am I likely to find a new home for them as a pair.?
Is the best way to offer them disbudded, and castrated?  Would a girl and castrated brother for company be a good 'starter pack'.? If you know what i mean?

I'm a total novice dealing with an unplanned pregnancy, any help gratefully received.
Thrift Bee

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:51 am »
Yes castrate the boy....important !!!

Disbud both,     and now as you say you have an excellent starter pair.

It is important to get used to being handle,  either by bottle feeding or just simply handling.   Nobody want wild kids that wont be caught.   

If they are going to feed from mother only, then they have to stay until weaned at about 3 mths.........you then have one very unhappy mother.    I remove all my babies at 3 hrs old so no bond develops with mother.........OK you then have to milk her but you have some very happy to be with humans type kids.

It is always a difficult job to decide the best way forward, particularly with an unplanned pregnancy.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:23:28 am »
we castrate our boys within the first week so be quick. a vet will show you how to ring them.
we sold goats as pairs and singles at 5 mths old. easier when they are young and cute. if they are handled and used to a lead its very helpful for new owner.
what breed are they? as there are alot free to good home so pedigree ones sell better.
alternately the boy could go in the freezer if the breed has meat on it. dairy goat billykids are sometimes killed at birth and this is what my vet told me to do to mine  :o :o :o

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:31:24 pm »
Yes, get the boy castrated.

I let mine feed from mum and I don't sell them til 5-6 months old when they've weaned themselves anyway, and the mums don't stress too much at them going.

If the boys are going to the butcher I send mine around 8 months.

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:07 am »
Thankyou all for your comments. I feel im on the right track.
Vet coming to disbud today. :(  I'm feeling very anxious.
Thrift Bee

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »
I regret not having a couple of mine disbudded, they got too big before I had time to deal with them.
def castrate boys.
I like to leave the kids on mum, for an easier life, when a bit older I seperate them longer each day and milk 'mum' once a day before letting them back together. because I handle the kids quite a bit then lead them out to the field, they are very friendly.
When it is time for kids to go, I let the mum out in the field as normal, take the kids away before she comes back in, leaving some nice hay or food to distract her, mine have never seemed bothered after that. (watching how the kids butt for more milk I think the dam is more relieved :-))
presuming you have other goats for her to mix with?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS