Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who's going the the Nationals?  (Read 4845 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Who's going the the Nationals?
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
next weekend? I'm not showing but will be there both days-selling my SG cockerel, picking up a trio of Minorca banties on the saturday, Scots Grey AGM on sunday plus meeting up with some rumpless araucana people and researching duck breeds.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Who's going the the Nationals?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:11:02 pm »
Yes I'll be going for a swatch at the Scots Grey and Scots Dumpy bantams. I wonder if there will be any in the birds for sale area. Will be joining the Scots Grey club and finding out about the dumpy club.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »
I might nip down for the Sunday, weather dependant.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »
I'm really interested in going, but I don't know anything about it. Is there a web site, I've not managed to find?
 Main things I would like to know is there always lots of birds for sale? Is there waterfowl & poultry? Finily are they all show quality birds for sale or is there a range of layers and table birds as well? Sorry for all the dumb questions  :dunce:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »
You will be huckt Sunday is mad doores open and its first one to the cards .price on is whot you pay.Was at England and the fedaration its a nice venue .I think its more important to get the names of the breeders that's doing well .A nother punt is eggs .....Marran eggs etc I bet I can tell you naw who will win the Marran and silver ducwing ...Grogan north of Scotland he is 90 and out of the hundruds he will win. Iv spent a long time noing who tics the boxes I won 2009 and ten orpingtons. Iv got some Scots dumpis laying don't no haw good .

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:31 pm »
Bert there is hundrads of birds sale day Sunday nothink under 60 pound avarage 80 top class stuff . its very hard if there is onley 2 pens of a breed and 20 people won't them.some good stock will make a 100 say 4 th place well worth going to see haw youre breed is doin iv seen people sell the lot becouse it never made it .That's why I like the eggs.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »
I'm really interested in going, but I don't know anything about it. Is there a web site, I've not managed to find?
 Main things I would like to know is there always lots of birds for sale? Is there waterfowl & poultry? Finily are they all show quality birds for sale or is there a range of layers and table birds as well? Sorry for all the dumb questions  :dunce:

no website and VF is much more help than I! Have been meaning to go the last 3 years but weather has always been horrible and it was quite a trek from where I used to live. Am now about 6/7 miles away so will be going regardless :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »
I'm going on Saturday, just for a look - honest  :innocent:
Will look out my TAS t-shirt and hopefully find some faces to put to the names  ;D

Oh and if anyone is coming along and looking for a young Barnvelder cockerel please pm me - I've got a friend who has 2 she's looking to rehome  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:05:06 pm by HappyHippy »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »
Planning on going along as well, probably on Saturday.

The birds for sale are mostly show types, not so many layers, and I don't think I've ever seen meat birds for sale. Prices are relatively high as the stock tends to more on the side of show quality. There are waterfowl for sale, but not often geese- only one pair of geese for sale last year.

I could really do with some POL hens, but I'm not necessarily expecting to get any there, at least not unless they come with a cockerel. Sometimes you get lucky though.

I am tempted to buy a posh carrying case for my chooks though  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:31 pm »
Ps- make sure you buy a catalogue as they list all the exhibitors, their addresses and phone numbers, so if you are interested in a breed, you can look at who had that breed at the show, and find someone near you.

Beth

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the info  :thumbsup:

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
I'm looking forward to going. Glad to see there will be some Scots Greys there as I am interested in them. Hopefully geese too.  :excited:

I'm not in a position to buy yet but hopefully soon.  :fc:

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:40 pm »
Well I had a great time looking at all the chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys.  :thumbsup:

The Scots Greys were really gorgeous. I hung around waiting for one of the cockerels to crow but none of them did. On the one hand it means I don't know what their crow is like (could be especially obnoxious) but on the other hand maybe they just don't crow much!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:22 pm »
I thought the Scots Grey Bantams were of a very high standard must have been hard to judge. The Scots Dumpy Bantams were a mixed bunch the blacks were in a different league to the cuckoos. Just my opinion.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:40 pm »
On the one hand it means I don't know what their crow is like (could be especially obnoxious) but on the other hand maybe they just don't crow much!

fwiw both of my Scots Grey boys are very tuneful, a proper cockadoodle do-as opposed to a cockadoodlecroak, which both the araucana and the Marsh Daisies have. they are also very loud (they are quite big!) and I can hear mine from a fair way away (which I realised out walking today, oops!

Gollum isn't that frequent (less to prove?) but the younger one is very frequent, they do crow more when they are younger IMLE. Gollum doesn't crow through the night, his 'boy' does ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS