Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hints and Tips  (Read 6809 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Hints and Tips
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »
Many thanks Dixie.  That's great advice about measuring them and keeping a record.....and about loading them! 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 05:05:54 pm »
Had a phone call from the abattoir today to say they are having a few problems with their new pig machine (didn't ask what problems as I'm not sure I wanted to know too many details! lol).  So my boys have got a week's reprieve!!! 

They are off next Tuesday instead now. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 06:06:11 pm »
 ;D :pig: ;D :pig: ;D :pig:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 08:12:13 pm »
Got 2 of mine back Friday, girth measurements were 37" and 38" and the dead weights were 53kg and 55kg, fat was just about perfect I'm really pleased with them, butcher reskons I got it right! so satisfying ;D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 07:44:11 am »
That's brilliant Dixie.  Must be great when you know you've got it right.

:)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 10:01:07 am »
My two pigs went last week, very sad but I took them right in to the abbatoir as they were used to me and they had a last treat of apple. I kept it together while I was with them but once outside I had a cry and next morning when I went out to feed everyone as there bed was empty. We had our first pork chops the other day and the taste was amazing. My OH did some bacon by putting it in salt for four days and boy was that good. The pigs were a bit on the fat side even though I had cut there food down and I felt that they should have gone the beginning of last month. Will judge it better next time. The four lambs went yesterday and I think I have made a better job of them as I have done lambs before and know what I am looking for. I am wondering if I should go for a smaller breed of pigs next year as the all blacks did seem to grow very fast.  :pig:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:17:48 pm »
Well done, at least you appreciated the whole process and enjoyed the chops and bacon! what age did you take them? if you want to stick to the same breed just take them earlier. also never be tempted to overfeed, it does result in more fat, which although isn't bad in my view (adds to the flavour) may put customers off if you sell any?

chickenfeed

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 03:07:13 pm »
 :pig:i took two of my boys yesterday no matter how many times i do it i always feel a little down beat after but when we collect the pork wow, so its all well worth our hard work, and this week is extra special as i am collecting my first bacon pig from the smoke house so oak smoked bacon & our own sausages for tea on wednesday and the roast will have to wait til thursday. we always have great satisfaction that we have produced the happy pigs that produced the great pork we eat.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 04:27:15 pm »
Since getting my boys we've had a saying here "Happy pigs make tasty pigs"........My boys are very happy, so the tasty bit is what we can look forward to after the not so nice part of taking them away.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 05:12:41 pm »
I did stick to the feeding guidlines Dixie, they were 24 weeks old and had free range of a small paddock. apart from their nuts we also gave them fruit and veg from the garden so maybe they were finding more to eat than I had thought. One came back at 71 kilos and the other 79 which was rather on the fat side. We are not selling any but plan to give some to a friend who is having a hard time atthe moment. :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 07:33:14 pm »
Then again all that extra fat can be used for lard, for pork pie crusts, for roasting potatoes, and on ad infinitum 

Marshlady

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Norfolk
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:46 pm »
We took our three Berkshires yesterday. We put the trailer in position two days beforehand so it wasn't new. I wish we had fed the pigs by the gate a few times and perhaps feeding them on the trailer might have been an idea. Luckily we have an small abattoir only seven miles away - it is however tricky to back up to and the audience doesn't help - I was please to have done a dry run a few days beforehand so I knew the best way to approach the entrance. Next time I'll take a bucket of food to entice them off the trailer - we had to manhandle them off but they didn't seem stressed or upset - just reluctant. The staff at the abattoir were kindness itself and the pigs then wandered off to a pen being herded by a kindly man calling "come on my bubbies". We get them back on Friday and are really looking forward to trying them out for taste. We ear tagged them - as has been said relatively easy once they have their head in the trough - although one developed the knack of twitching its head to one side just as I closed the pliers - I now have three demonstration tags attached to thin air. We are now going to give it a rest over the winter and get some more in the spring. We will however try and time it so that they are ready for slaughter in October as our abattoir doesn't take small holders' animals during August and we sent these pigs about a month later than we might have liked.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 06:53:23 am »
They will be just as delicious and the extra fat can be used for all sorts anyway.  Glad it all went well.  Looking forward to hearing about your next pigs.  Will you really be able to wait that long?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 09:18:53 am »
Sabrina, sounds like you got it right! they will have more fat than anything commercial but if you wanted them a bit smaller I'd stick to the feeding plan and maybe take them 2 weeks earlier? or if you feed  fruit and veg slightly reduce the amount of nuts, all works to saving you a few quid!! :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS