Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I start over with heptovac  (Read 2833 times)

kdmitch

• Joined May 2013
Should I start over with heptovac
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:13 am »
Hi All
Happy New Year.

I wonder if anyone can give me advice. I have four pet sheep (not to be bred from). Born appox April 2013. I bought them from a smallholding in June. They had been given Heptovac, but I did not realise I needed to re-administer a few weeks later. Should I now start over and vaccinate now and administer again this year. Any other advice on vaccinations to use would be most welcome.
I did go on the sheep keeping course with The Accidental Smallholder, and have all my note, but I am still getting a bit confused over vaccinations, worming and tick and fly prevention. Everything else is going well and they are happy, clean and well fed babies who love lots of hugs and attention, and love playing with my rough collie, and are fascinated by my cat.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kerrey

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Should I start over with heptovac
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:00:42 pm »
Heptavac needs two doses, 4-6 weeks apart, to be effective - then an annual booster. On another post, some members say they never use it and haven't had any problems. Personally, I'd use it but the choice is yours.

With your sheep, I wouldn't routinely worm. I would do a faecal worm egg count in spring and autumn and worm if required. If your land was clean ie free of sheep for a year or more and you can rotate the grazing, you might never need to worm. Adult sheep build a resistance to worms.

Fluke is a bit more complicated and your vet is probably best able to advise on the fluke issues in your area. Faecal testing isn't reliable for fluke. If you vet advises fluking, he may be able to give you enough for four sheep - ours does.

I wouldn't have thought that you need to vaccinate for anything else, especially if you aren't breeding  :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »
Speak to your vet and ask if they will break down a bottle of vaccine for you to share with another client.  Some will, some won't bother or will only sell a full bottle (25 doses). 

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »
I have just realised that aim 7 weeks lated with annual booster, will that matter?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:14:11 pm »
Hi Kerrey, mojocafa,  yes, start over again.  I'd differ from Rosemary, and recommend definitely to keep your heptavac up to date.  It's not worth it for you or for the sheep - clostridial diseases are nasty.
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »
Hi i didn't bother with heptovac for about 4 years then last year a lovely jacob gimmer went down i thought worms so i wormed her but the next day she was dead took her to the vets they opened her up and after that i was told to use heptovax and now i never miss its easy to say they don't need it but THEY DO.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:07:14 pm »
Hi Kerrey, mojocafa,  yes, start over again.  I'd differ from Rosemary, and recommend definitely to keep your heptavac up to date.  It's not worth it for you or for the sheep - clostridial diseases are nasty.

Where did I not recommend keeping Heptavac up to date, please?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS