Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Club root prevention  (Read 6148 times)

moorlandman

• Joined Aug 2009
Club root prevention
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »
Hi Folks,
This is the first of what may be; many requests for help and advice.

I've read somewhere in these hallowed pages that its a good idea to place a piece of Rhubarb in the hole prior to planting a cabbage plant to prevent club root.

An elderly guy (who grows the most fantastic veg) on an adjacent allotment say's he makes a hole using a 'bulb planting tool' then prior to planting the seedling, he fills the hole with a dilution of Jeyes Fluid (one cap full to a bucket of water) and allows it to drain away.  After planting the seedling,he spreads a ring of lime around each plant.

I'm about to plant 50 brassica's, (two varieties of cabbage @ 10 plants each, 10 cauliflowers, two varieties of broccoli @ 10 plants each).

All the above is very good advice I'm sure, has anyone else any other thoughts please.

PS...  I wonder if either, or both, of the above methods would work on 'all brassica's' or is it just cabbages which are affected by club root.

Regards

Terry :-\

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Club root prevention
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:05:49 pm »
 All brassicas can be affected (and the 'family', like wallflowers) by club root.
Lots of lime, and good crop rotation is the best prevention, and good drainage. High nitrogen feed could help
What type of soil is there? (clay, sandy etc... don't say 'brown!')
What was planted there before?

Think the Jeyes would kill most things, be very careful ! Though the smell will keep the cats of!
Little Blue

Unicorn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:29:39 pm »
I think I would prefer to get the Club Root
than put Jeyes Fluid in my own soil - especially a cap full

You could end up with Club Foot after eating that veg ;D ;D ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:20 pm »
me too.
Dont think you could class it as an organic remedy somehow...
Little Blue

moorlandman

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:47:26 pm »
Hi Gang,

The soil is fantastic, neither sandy of clay, it is soft easy digging, the previous allotment holder has obviously spent a lot of time and effort conditioning it.  I have no idea what was planted in the plot previously.  By the way, I did say a cap fullof Jeyes Fluid to a bucket of water which is a pretty weak dilution, (not the other way around)

See you later

Terry :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS