Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raspberries and Blackberries  (Read 2906 times)

bunnyruth

• Joined Aug 2009
Raspberries and Blackberries
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:41:03 pm »
Good morning folks,
we have had a really cold and wet summer here in the northeast corner of the US and so everything is coming in late, if it is coming in at all.  I am just beginning to pick raspberries and blackberries, and there are precious few of them.  Usually I make up a few different types of jam but this year I will be lucky to get enough for one batch.  Thankfully we were given some blackberries earlier in the season and made up a batch of sugar-free jelly (my husband is diabetic). 

I am looking to make something different.  Do any of you have a fun recipe using either of these fruits that you would be willing to share?

Thanks!
Ruth in New Hampshire  :rasp:

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: Raspberries and Blackberries
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »
I know this may sound barbaric but if you can get a supply of strong alcohol such as vodka (I leave you to imagine the options here) you can make very nice cordial by crushing (use a liquidiser) the fruit and mixing the pulp with the alcohol. After a couple of hours use a filter or strainer to remove the remains of the fruit and you get a very nice drink. I use 200grams of clean fruit with a litre of alcohol (or half a pound of fruit to a quart of alcohol).

If you prefer a clear drink, use a coffee filter to remove all the solids. This might take half an hour or so but it is cheap and reliable.

Don't leave the pulp in the mixture too long or the drink gets a woody taste.

This system works well with black/red currants. Blackberries produce a very pretty pink drink but there is little taste.

It's worth experimenting with different fruits and berries but start with strong alcohol and dilute to taste after mixing as the fruit will already reduce the alcohol content and you might get some strange by-products if there is any secondary fermentation.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS