Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pre-Farrowing requirements  (Read 1602 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Pre-Farrowing requirements
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »
I called my vet today as our sow should farrow 26/1 ish. I am sure I read to inject for Eri and worms around 2 weeks before but they said NO. They said unnecessary as too stressful and as she had both just before going to boar she will be covered.

Do you all agree? It worries me doing nothing, plus the vet had to go and look it up!!! Worrying as she had to go and look it up  :thinking:

Assuming she is right, when do piglets get vaccinated first? Can anyone recommend a good book that covers everything as I still prefer to look up a book rather than keep googling.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Pre-Farrowing requirements
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:25:15 pm »
Our book will cover everything you need :

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/perfect-pigs-book/

As for worming, yes you can worm a couple of weeks before farrowing, but if you are regularly worming or don't have a worm problem, then there is little point.  We don't worm before farrowing.

You should worm the weaners at weaning.

As for Ery, this should NOT be given during the last two weeks of pregnancy, and is the bit I suspect the vet needed to look up. And not required as you regularly vaccinate in any case.

If you are vaccinating against Ery, then you should follow manufacturer's datasheet.  If it is say Porcillus Ery then it is given from around 6 weeks of age, followed by a second 4 weeks later, then 6 monthly for stock being retained.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:29:22 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS