Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Aid for Pigs  (Read 2229 times)

spursman

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Longclose Pigs
First Aid for Pigs
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:55 am »
Can anyone let me know what to use on a graze on front leg of one of my new pigs it seems that she has taken a piece of skin of somehow and its does not seem to be scabbing over. Is this a job for the vet or are there any kind of remedies I can administer.
Thanks

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: First Aid for Pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:54 am »
Is it a very large or deep wound? We generally use alamycin spray it's an antibiotic so prevents infection /treats any that may be present. You do generally need a prescription from the vet but many places sell it without one ,just depends on the retailer . Alot of vets don't seem to worry about the spray as it is just a topical application. We find it only needs to applied twice a day for a couple of days.Alternatively you could use a cream intended for humans called ANTIPEOL it is used in hospitals to treat all sorts of skin problems . It all depends how friendly your pigs are  ie not then spray , are then cream. Cream can be bought in most chemists although some wont know what you are talking about.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
Re: First Aid for Pigs
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
Ditto Gavin...just keep an eye on it and if it starts to weep give your pig a shot of penecilin to fight off any deep infection problems...hope she goes on all right. Also if the others bother her, seperate her for a day or two, but make sure she can still see the others.

farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS