Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another hoof query  (Read 2204 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Another hoof query
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
After the problem with Cloud being lame, which is now fine since she had her injections of AB and painkiller, I noticed that Pom's hoof has problems. The horn has lifted away from the hoof. This is the second time she's had this. The first time, the section just flaked off by itself. This time I decided I needed to do some trimming. The lad who helps with the goats isn't due again until Friday so I thought OH and I might be able to manage.

OH had her pinned into a corner and held her leg up (hind leg to make it harder) while I trimmed. I got as much as I could off and cleaned it out but there is still a lot of loose horn there, right up to her leg. It seems to hurt her while I trim as she jerks like mad now. I don't have the strength in my hands to grip her and cut so had to give up. She did let me wash it and I think I got the muck out. I've sprayed it with purple hoof spray.

Is there anything else I can do?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Another hoof query
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:42:47 pm »
Does it feel hot at all, if so there may be infection under the horn.
She might need ab's as well.
 Is the spray terramycin or antiseptic? 
Sounds like you've cleaned it well and they're on concrete aren't they.
If she's standing on that foot ok it probably won't matter leaving it for a couple of days till you've got help anyway.

I think I'm becoming a poorly foot expert the amount of mud here at the moment. ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:20:42 am »
It sounds like shelly hoof, sheep do get the same problem. I find that some of my goats do get it regularly in the winter. I just clan out the "mud pocket" and cut as much horn as seem sensible. No AB's or similar unless the foot feel hot and here is a definite infection.

MIne are however not lame on it, so maybe not as bad.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:50 am »
There's a powder you can get to keep it dry as well - bit like Mycil for human athletes foot.  Sorry I'm not sure of the name but if you phone your vets they may well know it.  Good luck Mad  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:47:59 pm »
It's not hot and she's not lame with it. I think it is Shelly hoof and she did get it last winter in the same hoof.

Yes, they are on concrete but it does get pretty mucky. I have to have someone to sweep it for me these days unless it's very dry, and the lad only comes once a week. Just lately there has been a lot of surface water around and I assume that's what is causing the problem.

I'll keep making sure it's clean and spray it occasionally. Not sure what the spray is. It's purple and it's for hooves. Probably antiseptic.

Thanks for the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS