Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: easy care sheep- are they really?  (Read 9032 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: easy care sheep- are they really?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:27 pm »
I will add to my post about wilts horns, they have poor points too!

They have poor maternal qualities---if left to their own devises in a commercial environment
They will rear about 20 to 30% less lambs than my polled 'Exlana' shedders
They have horns which can be a pain up the backside (literally)

Also: they are big and seem to like to fight you every inch of the way.

If you have one sheep going the wrong way in the gather, you can bet its going to be a wilts horn.

On the other hand, you dont have to gather/handle them very often.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: easy care sheep- are they really?
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »
iv just sold my few fleeced ewes and replaced them with a few easy care ewe lambs...iv only had them about 3 months but so far they haven't needed anything doing..feet are good, old breeder only did feet once a year and wormed if saw a problem.
they seem to be tough and hardy as are out in the field with my one tame fleeced lamb and haven't got anything except a few trees and fencelines for shelter and are doing fine with the torrential weather we've been having.
only issue iv got with them is they aren't taming up well and are flighty, also they did keep wander out thru the once bit of poorly fenced fence to wander and browse in the next door woods but are  staying put now iv sorted the fence.
im not sure if theyl ever tame up but as I don't need to get them in a lot its not a big deal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS