Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shelling peas  (Read 3161 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Shelling peas
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:17:15 pm »
I find shelling peas a bit of a pain so I have been doing a bit of research into automatic shelling - very interesting.
So has anyone got a device at home they use?  Manual or powered.   Does it work?

I am only going to grow peas if I can make / buy an automatic pea sheller.

Any thoughts or comments?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Shelling peas
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:50:50 pm »
I've seen peas shelled by Birdseye if that helps - still quite a lot of people around but mostly automatic. I don't know how many you're planning on growing but my guess would be you'd be best off paying somebody else to do them for you if you really hate it that much. Hard to imagine a machine would be cost effective on a small scale - but if you do find a cheap solution, I'd love to hear it!

H

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:56:45 am »
I grow sugar snap peas so they don't have to be podded  ;D   :peas: :peas: :peas:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:29:53 am »
Mainly sugarsnaps here but they don't make it to the kitchen  ::) Our young lads pod the peas too but some of them don't make it in the bag either,oh well. Guess it's one way to pay for their labour  ;D

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »
Ha sugarsnaps is cheating!   I grow those as well.

Not talking large volumes but I shelled about 2 kg last year ( two crops) but I found it a time consuming nuisance.

But peas freeze well and I would love to plant many more and get them in the freezer. I kno the supermarket is cheaper but its the principle.

The automatic ones I have seen seem to work ( see the taylor manufacturing one from US) - there are a few on ebay but they look a bit pricey for what I want.

I couldnt get my head around how they worked without squishing the peas until recently. 
So I think I can make an effort at one - I will have a go and post up the results.  Good or bad.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:05:05 pm »
Children? Very useful all-purpose devices for this sort of thing, I find, especially if you do half and they get some 1:1 attention time with you. Otherwise if I've got a lot of podding of any sort of bean or pea to do I'll take the bowls through and do it in front of the TV. I still remember the washing baskets full of broad beans that I had to pod one bumper year...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »
I've only got one child small enough to fall for that one - and she's also too small to be of much use yet. Maybe I've just got the less helpful, testosterone driven variety but there'd be much grumbling and bribery involved if they were to help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS