Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hands on experience with sheep needed East Sussex  (Read 2929 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Hands on experience with sheep needed East Sussex
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »
I'm looking to get some hands on experience with some sheep.
IE
General handling
Foot trimming
Dredging
Spraying
Worming etc.
If any one can help that would be fab.
Hope someone can help
Regards Chris
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:16:50 pm by Cjnewton82 »

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Hands on experience with sheep needed East Sussex
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:49 pm »
Is Surrey to far??

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:21 pm »
I am butting into this topic but I am also in East Sussex and would love to shadow someone who will be lambing January/February time as last year out of my 3 first time ewes I had 2 who had very large singles and I lost them as just didn't have the experience to get them out in time.  I still only have 3 ewes due end Feb beginning March and am abit paranoid about lambing.

With regards to your topic Chris, have you joined the SFTG?  They run practical day courses sometimes during the year with regards to the things you wanted to find out, and also the Small Shepherd Club which is over mostly in Surrey.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »
Maddy you are also  welcome to come to my farm and have a chat or can have a chat over the phone? I can show you what I feed. Pm me if you want :D

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 01:51:08 pm »
I am butting into this topic but I am also in East Sussex and would love to shadow someone who will be lambing January/February time as last year out of my 3 first time ewes I had 2 who had very large singles and I lost them as just didn't have the experience to get them out in time.  I still only have 3 ewes due end Feb beginning March and am abit paranoid about lambing.

With regards to your topic Chris, have you joined the SFTG?  They run practical day courses sometimes during the year with regards to the things you wanted to find out, and also the Small Shepherd Club which is over mostly in Surrey.
Maddy,
Is the SFTG strict about members living in Sussex? I'm over the border in Kent but I was really impressed by the variety of courses they offer.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:30 am »
Not at all - they have members from Surrey, Sussex and Kent. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS