Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using pallets too make pig fences  (Read 2525 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Using pallets too make pig fences
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:32:34 pm »
This horrible weather I feel sorry for the piggies. They have a large pen with a shelter but it's turned up now I plan on making a few paddocks on my land with pallets and move the shelter with them too rotate and save soggy pigs? Anyone done this before?

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Using pallets too make pig fences
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »
With this weather, I think that everyone who keeps their pigs outdoors must be in the same boat. If you could use electric fencing to make new runs for them, then it would be so much easier.
If you look on my pig ark thread, you'll see that I've put Pru into her new run this morning. Lets see how long it takes her to turn that into a swamp. :fc:

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:47:45 pm »
I've got weaners.....I never trust electric with the little ones there too clever well all the ones I have had have been lol! X

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:21 pm »
We've made temporary pens out of pallets a few times and it's always worked well. Don't know if fully grown pigs would be contained but weaners certainly can. We just stood the pallets in place and tied them together with bale twine.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:56 pm »
There only weaners so should be fine I've got some fence post so I'll tie to them :) thsnks for the replies

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:22 am »
Also with pallets there's no need to build in a gate as you can just hop over to feed them etc.

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »
We have done what you are thinking - made movable fencing from pallets and posts. They are great, but even though our pigs have loads of room to roam they still look for weak spots in the pallets, push the posts, look for gaps they can get their noses into and push the pallets about - so have to keep checking for weak/wonky spots. We have used baling twine and pallet ties, (the plastic tape with the metal clips) which is good - but twine is best - need good knots so you can disassemble easily if you need to move quickly. It has made a huge difference for us this winter, as my pigs are out of the worst fields that retain water and mud and on dry and I don't have to wade through mud and have not lost any wellies this year! :) Good luck! :)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »
Just to add - we did ours in spring last year, but we are going to go for electric fencing this year - as well - asI am tired of wobbly posts as once a weakness is spotted the pigs know where to push and what to do next time.. little varmints -whereas with electric provided the currents okay - they are in! :)
Should add we have clay water logged ground so that does not help the stability for posts - you may have more luck with yours.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS