Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making a dead hedge  (Read 11353 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Making a dead hedge
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:46:49 pm »
Made my dead hedge today from the willow trees that I've pollarded/coppiced. Started off by sharpening some willow stakes (which I hope might root) and putting in a double row, about 60cm apart:

I then wove long bits in between the uprights up to about 4' high:

The space in between was then filled with brash and some of the bits were woven back in to tidy things up a bit (although it's never going to be very neat!)

Should be high enough to stop the dogs getting over anyway. Photos don't really do it justice, looks like an untidy pile of twigs but it's actually pretty solid. Should be good for wildlife and although it took quite a lot of labour to make, the materials were free. Once the infill dries out a bit it should get less springy and I can jump on it and put more on top. I suppose eventually it will turn into a compost heap and I can grow stuff along the top :D
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Making a dead hedge
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:57:42 pm »
Then if the willow stakes take root and start to grow that will tie in the weave and then it's just a case of maintaining it. You will be able to coppice the stems growing off the top of the stakes and use them to weave into the body of the willow hedge  ;D ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:02:16 pm »
never done it like that but done the deliberate willow weaved ones, id guess most of those posts will sprout within 12 months...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »
Looks pretty good. And a great bonus being free :thumbsup:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:41:39 pm »
A traditional dead hedge is just piled brash held in place by stakes whereas this is a bit more involved. I'm hoping they will sprout.

Not very clear from the photographs but our wooden fence is parallel to the galvanised fence (that used to protect a guinea pig farm) with a gap of about 10 feet in between. We've lost a good number of fence panels in the recent winds so planning on taking it all down and replacing with a hedge. The "no mans land" in between the two fences is full of brambles so contemplating shoving some pigs in there to clear it out.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »
Looks better than my attempt, but at least it kept my hens at bay. Well done.

Did anyone watch Tudor Monastry Farm? I like the idea of the pig pen based on woven walls (was that hazel?), thinking of making a small sheep shelter, lots of willow to grow first  :) .

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:40 pm »
Looks better than my attempt, but at least it kept my hens at bay. Well done.

Did anyone watch Tudor Monastry Farm? I like the idea of the pig pen based on woven walls (was that hazel?), thinking of making a small sheep shelter, lots of willow to grow first  :) .

That was my inspiration! Tried splitting some bits to make hurdles but not having a lot of luck in stopping the splits running out the sides. I'll practice with the froe tomorrow

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:51:05 am »
We (or my wife rather) made a lot of 'hurdles' from willow. Taking basically the same approach as you Spandit. Stakes hammered into the ground, then weave around it. But then we pulled the stakes out and moved the hurdles to act as wind breaks. Every one rooted !

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:45 am »
I'm hoping the windbreak I've planted further up will root. Trying to split some of the thicker stuff with the froe but it's difficult to stop the split running out

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:06 am »
we've found with our dead hedges (a long and ongoing project) that live material tends to sprout through. When this is big enough, we will lay that as a more traditional live hedge.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:40 pm »
You were right, not as "dead" as expected :)

Should stop it falling down :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 06:19:32 pm »
Is this a stake you put in? if you want to keep it maybe watering will help?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:00:56 pm »
All the stakes are sprouting - not going to bother watering them - enough moisture in the ground still and it should force the roots deeper

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »
what was the time between cutting them down and replanting. I had a large willow come down around 5 weeks ago and wonder if they would still sprout!!

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »
I can't remember but some of the poles I cut at the same time have been lying on a concrete slab since then and they've sprouted anyway. If yours has come down then it's probably still viable. Potent stuff, willow!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS