Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pregnancy scan for sow  (Read 2162 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
pregnancy scan for sow
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:47:08 pm »
Hi

I have a large GOS, (not fat just big and rangy) sow she has been with my boar since September. She has  had two litters last two years. Thought she was pregnant but she is still not showing, she could have got pregnant anytime from September..she has not been in season that I can see last couple of months and been away from boar now for about four weeks.

Would like to get her scanned to be certain, vet advised finding someone who scans sheep, cows could do it. We are near Sherburn in Elmet, South Milford area. I have to work away from home ideally in January but don't want to commit and leave her when she may be imminent. For her first litter she had 13, but second one just five so she may not get huge if only has a small litter again. Even with her small litter, her tummy had a definite bulge and got low when her time was near but this time her tummy is ok she just has a small bulge at the sides.

Does anyone know anyone who could help please, any advice welcome.

Thanks for reading my post.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: pregnancy scan for sow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:45 am »
If your vet can't suggest anyone, try your local NFU branch. They should be able to recommend someone who can scan her.
I've had emails from a company called Ballybio who claim to have a pig pregnancy urine test. I've not used it, and don't know anyone else who has, but maybe someone on the forum has experience of it?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:40:34 am »
Regarding pregnancy tests. You'd think that a similar test to that used by humans would work with pigs physiology being so similar to ours?

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »
Thanks very much for your replies - will look into pregnancy test kit and also see NFU. :)
 :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS