Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting a rope down a drain  (Read 1891 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Getting a rope down a drain
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:15:00 pm »
I have lost some drain rods down a land drain and because there is such a good flow, thought I might be able to float a rope down as far as an access point so I can then pull something through and try to retrieve them but not sure what to use? Need something that is going to catch the current strongly enough...

Any suggestions welcome
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Getting a rope down a drain
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:00:40 am »
You can get a device called a cobra, it's essentially like rods but thinner and on a reel.   Available at builders type hire places.

You can fix the same range of adaptors to the end as you can for drain rods. You can use them to thread ropes through.

You might be able to use one of those spade lugs which folds up as you push, then opens as you drag back,  but it's a long shot.

If you get, or make something for the end using say ply wood that fits flush in the pipe you might be able to push the rods further through to the next access point using another set of rods, or the cobra mentioned above.

Might be easier just to get digging.

I have made a winding handle so that as I insert rods I keep rotating them to stop them coming apart...that was after having to dig down 4ft to retrieve a set !
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:11:49 am by stufe35 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS