Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I miss Gardeners world  (Read 7052 times)

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
I miss Gardeners world
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »
I'm sat here on a Friday eve and there is nothing on TV! Roll on march when GW is back on!! :huff:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: I miss Gardeners world
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:02:59 pm »
My sky box hasn't been in use for about two months, and now it's back, I have two months of Gardeners World to watch!  (and tell me all the things I should have done by now, but haven't!)

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »
Enjoy! That sounds like my Mother in law, I think she was backed up about 6 mths at one point, lol!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
I have to admit I'm bored with it now, I used to record it, watch it and take notes of interesting things/projects, Geoff Hamilton made it what it was, I think it's lost its way now. I know Monty gives good tips, but just not the same somehow. (I wonder if anyone things Percy Thrower was the best?)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:31 pm »
Wish I could afford Sky.  I had it for a year when I built my last house.  I used to watch all the house and garden programmes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:56:53 pm »
I wish we didn't have sky, it's all American sh*te and kids programmes. Even the planner is filled with Hollyoaks and  teenage Disney channel rubbish from my 12 year old.

Everything I watch would be on freeview anyway so I see it as a waste of money. OH watches American dramas and such so he pays for it lol.

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:04:19 am »
I have to admit that I think Sky is a waste of money. Its just useful for recording things and we are F1 fans and since the BBC lost the airing of F1, its now on a special channel on Sky ( which you have to pay extra for grrr)

I've only really started watching GW ( well the past few years) since we've had children and are in on a Friday night! I do enjoy it, although I know that lots of people think its lost its way.
Doganjo, ehat channel was the programmes on that you used to watch? I struggle to find much on Sky atm, I used to enjoy all the cooking programmes, but they are all American or repeats!

Rosie

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:49:29 am »
We have a MUCH better version of GW in Scotland called the beech grove garden. Fantastic and much more down to earth. We'll worth trying to find on I player if you can get it on there. I watch it and gave up on GW!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:51:32 am »
I like the Beechgrove garden too - especially as I used to see the original one every time I took the kids to school, and we used to go to their Open Days.  It can be a bit parochial and twee at times but local info is obviously far better.

Rosie I think it was the discovery channel these were on, but I'm not sure.  And now I watch channel 14 mostly - Grand Designs, Restoration Man, Small Spaces, etc etc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:52:24 am »
Beechgrove does get aired down here, but its finished for the season too, I did like it but I also loved seeing Montys garden, GW feels a bit more personal, to me, I spose.

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 10:53:36 am »
Thanks Doganjo, I don't think we subscribe to those but will have a look.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 02:27:38 pm »
Haven't watched tv for a few years now , but used to watch GW when Geoff Hamilton was on .
 Alan T , Monty D and the others know their onions , but Geoff H was the best imo .
I don't miss GW now , as not seeing  it doesn't make me feel so inadequate in the veg plot lol .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
Hey, Russ - Happy New Year, matey xx  :love:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:23 pm »
My main problem with gardening programmes is that they're on during those long summer evenings, when I'm out working in my garden, not sitting indoors watching someone else pretending to do the job when you just know they have a whole team of workers who actually do the hard stuff.  (OK - I watch them when it's raining  :D )

I did like Geoff Hamilton as he seemed hands on and had lots of make-it-yourself tips to share. I still use his blue water pipe cloches.  I feel some of the behind-the-scenes politics come through in GW, such as chemicals v organic when the big chemical firms are pushing.

There's Beechgrove up here and a Gaelic gardening programme - I don't understand more than every fourth word of that but it's great - real enthusiasm when the simplest of plants actually grow in someone's windswept, salt-smothered garden.  I do get depressed at southern programmes where they don't feel it's necessary to give advice about growing such 'easy' crops as runner beans - up here it's a total achievement to get a few handfuls of straight beans  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:39 pm »
Happy new year Annie xx , lets hope it is a goodun .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS