Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Borrowing/renting pigs?  (Read 4282 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Borrowing/renting pigs?
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
We're not sure if we're up to keeping our own pigs just yet but is it possible to rent them as I have an area overgrown with brambles that I'd like to clear and thought pigs might do the trick. Would give us a chance to see what it's like looking after them for a bit before we take the porky plunge!
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Borrowing/renting pigs?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
Pigs will be there anyway spend the money on them and that's the only additional cost too renting pigs then you get too eat them at the end :-)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »
I agree with Azzdodd, wait til spring and get a couple of weaners for the freezer.
As long as you avoid anything with Kunekune in the breeding they'll be ready to go at approx. 6 months old so would only be with you for around 4 months. Spring/summer weaners would be fine with a quickly knocked up inexpensive house (old pallets, straw bales etc) so you wouldn't have to invest huge amounts of cash from that point of view.
Much better to keep your own as borrow someone else's - you should reap your own rewards for your hard work  ;)
HTH
Karen

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
Going to ring the RPA tomorrow and get a CPH number.

Here's a stupid question: do pigs need to be put away every evening like chickens or do you just let them go in and out of their houses as they wish?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:58:47 pm »
Pigs are more intelligent than chickens, much bigger than chickens and much, much more independent.  They will do exactly as they please, given the constraints of the efficiency of their fencing.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:54:25 pm »
I've had chicken sausages and didn't like them much...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
I agree with the others. If you get them at 8 weeks and send them off about 6 months then they will do the job you want and you will get the benefit of the pork.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:17 pm »
Pigs it is, then! Wife doesn't seem too fazed and we do love pork :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:08 pm »
Oh, you'll love them and not look back  :excited:
I always say to keep them in a small, secure pen for the first few days til they get to recognise you and associate you with the bucket of feed. This way if when they escape they'll be more likely to come to the sound of your voice and the rattling bucket  ;) :thumbsup:
Go for boars and that way you won't be tempted, under any circumstances, to keep them for breeding/long term pets (it makes it easier for you as you'll not be as likely to forget their 'purpose' - if it's gilts it's easier to get over-attached)
Pigs will put themselves to bed at night (and normally halfway through the day too  ;)) and as long as they've got a dry bed and you've got good fences and a sense of humour and adventure I'm sure you'll have a great time  ;D
Apply for your CPH as soon as possible, it can sometimes take up to 6 weeks to come through........and keep us posted with how you're getting on  :excited:
Karen

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:32:49 pm »

Go for boars and that way you won't be tempted

You don't want to know what went through my mind before I read the rest of that sentence...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS