Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubators??  (Read 2813 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Incubators??
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:59:16 pm »
I used to have a manual incubator but then i sold it on so now i am looking a fully automatic one £60-80

The question is does the make matter my old one was brinsea but they are too dear i have looked at this one??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-12-Eggs-Incubator-Fully-Automatic-LED-Hatching-Egg-Chicken-Duck-Poultry-/400493237866?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item5d3f41d66a
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Re: Incubators??
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:21:17 pm »
I bought a second hand  Rcom Suro with fully automatic turning and humidity control off eBay for £120 including P&P. Definitely worth every penny. There are nearly always second hand R com Suros on eBay, usually bidding, starting at around £50 so you might be able to get one for £60-£80.   
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:03 am »
You definitely get what you pay for with incubators. Brinsea are top quality but Rcom are also good and can be found cheaper second hand. I would steer clear of cheapo no-make stuff.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:03 am »
The turning cradle motor packed up on our Suro20 and we had all sorts of problems with hatches because it won't hold a consistent internal temperature in an ambient temperature below 20 degrees as there is virtually no insulation value in the casing. The humidity pump failed as well. We use it as a hatcher only now. Spares are silly prices and I can't trust it for incubation anyway. In a power cut all the heat is lost in minutes.

My advice would be to get a Brinsea unit. I haven't heard a bad word said about them and their spares backup and assistance is first class (I contacted them last week). As Hughesy says, you get what you pay for and I wish we had spent a little more and bought one instead of the Suro.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:16:20 am »
Chrismahon once I realised I needed to operate the Suro inside a polystyrene box all the issues you mentioned went away. I haven't used the humidity pump I prefer to run it dry until pipping time.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:22 am »
We arrived at about the same solution as you Hughesy -run the Suro in an insulated box. We do that when we use it as a hatcher but have now gone back to semi-autos for incubation. They have well insulated bases and just simple water troughs. They hold their heat well. Sufficient for us as we are retired so can turn them 3 times a day. Access is good as well for candling. Very good hatching results indeed.

AndrewMBaines

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:12 pm »
We use the suro too. Hatched 5 out of 6 runner ducks last year. 6th died in shell. Managed 50% with guinea fowl.
Lower rate with chickens but they weren't our eggs, so unsure of the quality. Possibly too many eggs too.
0 out of 2 for geese - I don't think it could cope with the large eggs.
No problems with reliability so far and we use it in a heated room, so lack of insulation not a problem. Only a hobby too, so not that critical.
That said, having read the earlier comments, will probably buy a brinsea if this packs up.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »
We bought one off ebay, can't recall the make but Suro rings a bell. Never worked properly and had to jump through hoops to get a refund in the end.  I would recomend spending the extra on a Brinsea personally.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS