Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much is a pygmy goat to buy/sell  (Read 1884 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
How much is a pygmy goat to buy/sell
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »
A friend is getting into smallholding more in a petting farm way and wants pygmy goats.  Sorry but I thought it was one of those things you could hardly give away (forgive me as goats is one thing that has never interested me at all - I think I was given goats milk from a nanny kept with a billy and took against them)  Anyway what should she be looking to pay, and what defect should she be aware of.

I saw 2 she already had and they had rather odd looking feet to me .
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: How much is a pygmy goat to buy/sell
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »
She should read all the info on the Pygmygoatclub website - there's breeders lists and general info re faults etc or give me a shout as I'm way to far way (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) for a sale she can be assured of an unbiased conversation - that's the same for more local enquiries too by the way!! PM for my number if needed
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:03 pm »
Thanks Brucklay - as you know we are all midlands based.  If they decide to breed and go for registered stock what might the kids sell for (assuming folk want to buy them)

She has a black billy already and will want nannies to keep him company.  He certainly has a belly on him - is that normal.  There is a nanny with him that is supposed to be in kid, but she is no fatter than him.  As I say its entirely out of my field of experience.

Also is it likely that - like sheep - once the female is pregnant the male loses interest?

I had already looked at the site you mentioned after posting, and they do seem to have slightly odd shaped feed on a lot of the photos.  I suppose I dont really mean feet I mean fetlocks.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:27:15 pm »
Hi DBE - so registered female kids area dependent will sell for £200 - £290, pet registered caustrated males will sell for about £100 - £190.

You can get some wethers that look fatter than a pregnant female - some just sem to be like that, I have one and he was tiny as a kid!!

My 2 billies are kept together and tend to wander the fence line between them and the girls - when the girls are in season they activly squish themselves up at the fence - not sure what their behaviour would be if they were in together 24/7.

Some feet can look odd if they haven't had their feet trimmed correctly.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS