Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Jackets  (Read 1693 times)

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
Chicken Jackets
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:08:07 pm »
I was listening to a bit on the radio about different ideas for pressies......and heard that 'omlette'  the chicken people have developed jackets for chooks. The high-vis ones sold very well over christmas!

Anyone out there bought one?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Chicken Jackets
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:56 am »
It seems the old sayings still run true. Like "a fool and his money are easily parted" ;D

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:30:32 am »
No, but I did wonder about getting one for my MIL whose chickens wander far and wide and whose cat recently got killed on the main road close by. But then I looked at the price.....Omlet are never cheap but I drew the line on that one.

H

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 06:24:50 am »
There are quite a few companies that make chicken saddles.

I used them last summer to protect the hen's backs when the cockerel is treading them - otherwise he can pull all the feathers off his favourites!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:29:50 am »
I think they are great but rather too expensive for us. We have two TNN's running about who probably need them, but they will be too large for them anyway. They appear to act as saddles as well, but comments on the site say they could do with being longer at the back. The tartan waistcoats on their site look very smart indeed.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »
I crocheted a couple of chicken jumpers for my mother in law whos old exbats were moulting in winter but I don't think I would spend money on the high vis ones. I guess if you live near a busy road they are handy but a bit expensive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS