Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Olive egger  (Read 1583 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Olive egger
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:39:25 pm »
Just been browsing the backyard chicken website (ok so I was bored - not of this forum- but in general) and there is a lot of threads re olive eggers, don't recall seeing anything on this site so is this an American thing or have I just missed it due to being a newbe? Also what is an Americana? (have seen a couple of different spellings)
Heather

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Olive egger
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:46:28 pm »
Basically if you cross a double gene blue egg layer such as a good Cream legbar, over a brown egg layer, as long as the brown egg is not too dark you will get green or "olive" eggs. 

Blue eggs have shells which are blue thoughout the shell, so if you peel away the inner membrane the shell colour will be the same as on the outside.  Brown eggs are white (or almost) shelled eggs with a brown coating deposited just before lay, so the brown coating over a blue shelled egg makes for a green or olive coloured egg, depending on the depth of colour of the brown pigmentation

It is not a "breed" as such and will never breed true.  It is generally a first second or third cross.  But they lay lovely eggs which really add interest to an egg box
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:38 am »
Thanks for the info, don't breed my hens at present but may experiment in the future. I have an Arucana hen and a white Sussex cockerel, would that work?
Heather

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »
Might be okayish - just depends what you are hoping to achieve  That would probably give and opal green sort of colour ?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:28 pm »
this is partly why I wanted a couple of pullets of darkbrownegg's stock :) as I also breed rumpless araucana and was going to put them in with the rumpless cock at some point. In fact, if anyone would like his services later on in the year then give me a shout. Blue egg colour is dominant so I think if you cross blue with tinted you may just get a slightly greenish egg rather than olive.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:53:34 pm by lord flynn »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS