Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB testing  (Read 2940 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
TB testing
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »
My neighbours  cattle are down with TB, a few months ago some of the ones that tested positive were in the adjacent field to my goats with just a stock wire fence between, the only field without double fence and hedge of course.
Should I be worried?
Should I get mine tested?  I can't really afford a big bill at the moment but don't want TB either.

Is it the same test as cattle and how reliable is it?
No compensation?

Anyone had any experience of this.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: TB testing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »
Goats are tested (and respond) to the same TB test as for cattle. A few years back there was a bTB outbreak in a Golden Guernsey herd, to date (as far as I know) no other outbreak in goats has been officially recorded. Most vets will still advise that goats do not get TB.

However I would speak to the vet and maybe the local AH people - they could arrange for a test if they think there is a danger of cross-infection. (also if the cattle contracted it from the local wildlife your goats may be at similar risk). Your vet could also contact the Goat Veterinary society for further advice, the GG outbreak was fully and openly investigated, so you should get information readily.

This is a really hard one to judge, because if they are infected the same policies apply as for cattle...

When there was the GG outbreak there was goatkeeper who contacted TB from her animals... so one to be on the safe side I think.

:fc: your girls are fine.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »
Thank you, I thought I'd heard about an outbreak in goats before,
There's alot of badgers about the area,

I'm intending to phone the vet on Thursday and discuss it anyway

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:42:18 pm »
Our farm had an outbreak 5 years ago - farmer who rented some land from us, and 5 other farms were affected. I spoke with the vet, and also DEFRA vet who do not think my goats were at risk, and no need to test.  All cattle are on 12 monthly tests even at my new farm 5 miles away, but all seem clear now.  Hopefully your vet can reassure you.  Must admit I did worry .....as to compensation, our farmer got market value for his cattle, so assume all livestock dealt with similar.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
All the neighbouring farms have been down at some point in the last couple of years, immediate neighbour now for the second time. 12 of 94 cattle, next one over 33 of about 200 beasts.   I think they take it in turns.

One of the cattle affected was a 4 month bull calf born in August, housed in October.  His mum was clear.  :(

I did speak to the vet a while ago and she checked.  Said I could pay to test if I wanted to or if neighbours were down AH would test if they thought the goats were at risk.  I'll phone tomorrow.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »
Hope all goes well for you.

Strangely, our farmer had one of the current years calves go down, but Mother fine ....hard to believe the calf could catch it within 6 months of being on the field.  Other calves tested fine.  And his 20 year old cow was ok, but 3 young cows had TB......well, farmer insisted one was fine at the test - young vet said it had to go, and then it turned out after slaughter that this cow was in fact ok.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »
The vets making enquiries, I'm to phone again if I haven't heard from her by Monday.

Neighbour said yesterday only 5 of the12 actually had it at slaughter.  How does that work then. You'd think there'd be a second test to confirm before killing them.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:10:21 pm »
Nope DEATHRA is too busy trying to wipe out the livestock farmer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS