Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safety Kit  (Read 4275 times)

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Safety Kit
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »
I am posting this here as I can't see anywhere else here and most of the safety kit is to be used with machines.

I have a small chain saw and bought a safety helmet at the same time. It's got a wire mesh visor and ear defenders. I find I am using it with other machines like my very noisy tractor, cultivator (noise and stones) and strimmer (stones). It cost about £30 but It's been a very useful bit of kit. I would recommend it for anyone using machinery where bits fly about or there is a lot of noise. The ear defenders work over the little headphones on my MP3 player which means I can listen to something when I am working. I also use the radio in my mobile phone with similar headphones. The ear defenders keep the ambient noise out and stop the headphones falling on the ground while I am working.

I have a pair of Doc Marten's safety boots with steel toecaps. They are heavy and can be uncomfortable but have saved my feet on several occasions. They are also hard wearing, warm and fairly waterproof.

Finally' Overalls. I have a pair of heavy cotton overalls and they are warm and keep my (tatty old) clothing clean and me warm. The one piece design means you don't get a draught down your back in cold windy weather. I know it's not a safety issue but they are worth having. Be careful about ones with a full length zip. The zip goes and you have to pay a lot for a new one. Mine went like that and my wife sewed in a strip of heavy duty Velcro which works well. If you have never tried a pair of overalls, get some but allow for plenty of warm clothing underneath and working bending and sitting as well as standing. The resulting fit may look a bit oversize but you don't want tight overalls.

Has anyone got any safety items or advice on what to do or not?

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Safety Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 01:06:08 pm »
I'm very tall, and had difficulty finding overalls that fit. I asked at an ex-army clothing shop about overalls, much to the delight of the owner who produced two pair of Norwegian army overalls in my size. He told me he thought he'd never be able to sell them and gave them to me for € each...score. I wear a pair of builders boots hwen outside. They're insulated, with a steel plate and toe cap, a bargain at €40, and they've lasted two years to date, and are only showing minimal wear and tear.

sunnyjohn

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Milton Keynes
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:58:54 pm »
Good observations; thanks. I certainly agree safety kit is worth its' cost and trouble without quibble. What make / name was the helmet outfit? I've not seen anything like them, and will need to enquire. It helps to have a name to go on.

Thanks,   John

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:13:28 pm »
Chainsaw chaps, (dunno if thats the correct term) they protect you legs if the chain snaps. The first thing i would buy.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:48 pm »
Yes, I got my helmet when I got my chain saw a couple of years ago. It's Stihl brand so any of their dealers should be able to supply the same item for about £35. I got my wife a Husqvarna helmet with a very similar design which includes a plastic flap at the back to stop sawdust going down you back!

They both have wire mesh visors which are tough and don't get scratched. My Stihl helmet has the option of a clear plastic visor but they become scratched quite quickly.

The only drawback of the wire mesh is that when I am using it with my strimmer, little bits sometimes get through onto my face which would be prevented by the clear plastic. However, the helmet protect my face from stones and the noise of the engine.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:09:01 am »
Ideally you should be using a chainsaw jacket and trousers, gauntlets are a good idea as well. Plenty of these on Ebay.
In a previous job a bloke went out to do a quick job with no gear on and disaster struck, not a pretty sight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS