Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: attaching metal to brick  (Read 7081 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
attaching metal to brick
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:49:01 pm »
hi
I need to out up some metal tie rings (to tie horses up to) to a brick wall. If you don't know, the ring attaches by way of a plate with 4 screws in it.

I don't know how too do it! I am not bad at woodworking as I make my own runs and coops but its all self taught. Its no good asking OH as its not really his thing-and he's convinced if it goes wrong, the whole building will come down.

I have the rings, I have screws, I have a drill with masonry bits. I have safety goggles. What do I need to know  :) ?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: attaching metal to brick
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:06:12 pm »
do you have rawplugs

for that kind of fixing you want 8 or 9mm ones

then mark where screws got to go use appropriate drill for rawplugs drill the length of the screws into the wall, insert rawplug, screw in as you would wood although dont use a power driver as they eat rawplugs.

give it a try somewhere that doesnt matter first if your worried.

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:38:20 pm »
It's worth marking all the holes first with a magic marker or chalk then start drilling. Don't overheat the drill bit!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:05:56 pm »
All good advice, has your drill got a hammer mode best to use that if it has.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:45:59 am »
Make sure you use a proper masonry drill bit of the correct size
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Tomouse

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Dubrava, Croatia
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:27 am »
Just make sure you use the correct screw size for the plug, it will say on the packet. A good masonary drill bit is also vital, a blunt one will wander creating a hole too big for the plug to grip. And you can put the screws in with a power driver, they won't chew up the plugs. And try not to drill into a mortar course or too close to the edge of a brick....

If you want something stronger than your basic Rawlplugs to give you enough strength try to get hold of some frame fixings, easy to find in Screwfix etc. These are basically big Rawlplugs but have a stronger hold due to the deeper depth and increased expansion upon fixing.....

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
We found our local suppliers really useful. They made sure we have the right bolts for the job, the right drill bit and everything so it all fitted together.

We were advised to use special concrete bolts which didn't require a rawlplug and haven't had any problems.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »
thanks all for the advice. will give it a go tomorrow-we have everything. got distracted building a log store today!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:38:39 am »
You can also buy concrete screws that dont need rawplugs - they are awesome!!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/timco-concrete-screws-7-5-x-50mm-pack-of-100/63274?kpid=63274

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:21 am »
youve probably already done this job, and hopefully without any hitches, but it wanted to add a little something to the advice.

Marking all four holes at the start is a good move, but when drilling into brick/stone it's not unusual for the bit to move off the start point until it gets good bite. I would recommend drilling the first hole, line up the plate again, then mark the next hole. Do this for each one to avoid screws going in at odd angles.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:31 pm »
great advice Flatnadreich, thanks :) job all done, OH feeling very outdoorsey :D no doubt there will be more things to put up in the future. Thanks all!

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 04:42:28 pm »
I just re-read my post and realised I'd not given the best advice.

Once you get the first hole drilled, fix the plate with the screw then drill through the next hole to get a much better guide for the drill bit. Just be careful as you start drilling and if the bit tries to wander too far from the hole be careful it doesn't 'bite' the metal of the plate and kick out.

For the last 25 years I've had to try drilling into granite so I've hot used to the idea that these things take care and time. My new house is sandstone - yippee!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS