Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mysterious attacker! Can anyone help?  (Read 4936 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Mysterious attacker! Can anyone help?
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:33:44 pm »
We're not having much fun with poultry at the moment (and neither are they!)

We've just returned from two days away with family to find our chicken flock depleted.  We've lost four hens (although I later found one carcass) and three more have been injured.  While there are still three 'missing' (presumed dead), we are concerned as to the presentation of the one dead chicken found so far and the three injured ones.

Our chickens are/were all free range.  Whilst a fox has been seen within the area, we have lived on wide open farmland for several years and the fox seems to have plenty pheasants to eat in the nearby woods.  He has never bothered us.  The chickens seem to have been attacked during the day when out in the fields, and the four seen so far have consistent large bare gooey wounds to their backs.  This does not seem to fit with a fox attack.  Does anyone have any knowledge or wisdom that they could share with us?

Lynn

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Mysterious attacker! Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »
speaking from my own experience: this is the time of year when foxes are boldest as their natural prey is in short supply. I generally don't have a problem spring through to late autumn with the hens free-ranging from dawn to dusk, but now the fox comes in the day so I only let the chickens out once I'm about to see him off.

if the fox can corner the hens in a confined space he'll kill the lot; if they're out in the open then he'll generally just get one as the others have time to escape.

As to your large bare gooey wounds - I have no ideas but I wouldn't rule out Mr fox.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:47:22 pm »
Thanks for your reply mab.

We have lost seven in two days in the open.  All with the same injury.  Is this the behaviour of a fox?  I'm genuinely clueless...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:21 am »
I wonder if it's a youngster from this year? not mastered the art of attack yet?
Or could it be a dog? It does sound a bit like when a visitors dog had one of mine.
When we had a fox attack I did find some dead hens with their heads into the grass at the bottom of the fence, with bite marks over their backs. (so much for the quick kill we were told 'hunters' would do) :-(.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:30:45 am »
Sounds like a Buzzard to me LL. A fox or dog usually eats the head leaving the rest for later. Buzzards hit them in the back in the aerial attack and knock them to the ground. They will be too heavy to lift so will have to be consumed there. Does that fit the evidence?

We put tripod posts all over the area ours range to break up any flight paths. We also used yellow clothes line strung between the trees. We did have a buzzard fly right over the enclosure in Dordogne  but it couldn't land because of all the obstacles. That's when we added the clothes line. Not sure that will be practical for your situation though.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:16 am »
There are loads of buzzards around here but they've never bothered the poultry. Fox, dog, cat, mink could be anything.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:10:53 am »
We lost one duck in similar circumstances .... and decided it was buzzard...........  but cant see a buzzard killing lots ... would eat one it killed over a day or two I would have thought?   Fox kill followed by buzzard/ kite  having supper?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:02:30 am »
Fox almost certainly....

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:36:31 am »
I have had a buzzard kill one if my hens, eat part if it, then come back later in the day to attack again. It was trying to penetrate the side of the chest when I chased it off, so they do appear to attack more than once per day, or it was a second bird.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:56 am »
A friend watched a buzzard circling his flock yesterday  :( we've quite a few in our area so their food sources must be getting low.......i wouldn't rule it out.
Hope the missing ones turn up intact soon.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »
Buzzards tend to rip the throat and crop out. Although i wouldnt rule out a buzzard i would lean towards either a young fox or a dog. My first thought reading your post was dog because a fox would come back for the rest if undisturbed. Another thing foxes generally only kill more than one if in the coop, out in the open they will take just one.

Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 01:14:55 pm »
Well, we've just seen the culprit chancing his luck for another meal.  It's a stray white lurcher dog.  We live in the middle of wide open farmland and we spotted it from the window just now.  We contacted the estate office, and apparently it's been seen living in the woods nearby.  The gamekeeper is on his way...

Thanks for all your help and advice guys!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 01:36:48 pm »
Let's hope thats the end of the problem, how are the injured ones? did they survive?

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:42:51 pm »
Some better than others.  Thankfully we have a big old barn the we can shut them in for the next wee while.  Not much light but better than being dog food.  They seem to be in shock and are very jumpy.  I've sprayed their backs with the violet stuff and we'll just keep our fingers crossed.

At least we know what killed the others... Poor Lil was 6!

Humblepie

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »
you say they are free range but are they locked up at night? if not its a matter of time before they get taken. foxes usually return.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS