Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ivermectin for poultry  (Read 16951 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: ivermectin for poultry
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »
Yes Rosemary l also sell eggs to the village so am going to stick with flubenvet.  Better safe than sorry.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 05:41:46 pm »
I wonder why it is not registered for poultry is it because it is very cheep ?. It's not registered for dogs either but vets use it on hunting hounds. It's safe or not safe whey can it not be registered its been about for years ? ? ? ?. :huff: .
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »
The ivermectin used on small  animals ( dogs, hens, guinea pigs )is the large animal (livestock) prep. It is only licences for livestock probably due to cost of testing and licensing for the manufacturers. This means there are strict guides for vets about which patient can be given it.
There is now a small pipette of ivermectin licenced for  pet birds and small mammals ( rats, mice etc )but would work out expensive unless you only have a couple of pet hens. I think you can find data on it from some smallholding web shops.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 08:45:38 am »
as Mammyshaz says. it is safe, its actually used to treat scabies in humans in different parts of the world.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 07:50:17 pm »
In order for a product to be 'licensed' for a particular species, it has to undergo extensive testing for safety and efficacy. Certain species are less profitable for the big drug companies to license products, including things like sheep, small furries, and things likely to be used in 'pet' or smallholder chickens. Thus, it is not worth the drug companies doing the long, expensive scientific studies, however, these drugs are commonly used in other species, with the caveat that we haven't got the exact details, but years of use in these species mean we have a very good idea of what doses will work and are safe.
It gets even more complicated when talking about livestock that are producing foods for human consumption (milk, meat, eggs. This is because drugs licensed for these have milk, meat or egg withdrawal (such as 0 days egg withdrawal for tylan soluble or fluvenvet). If not licensed in that species, the drug companies and food standards agency have not worked out how long it takes before there are no drug residues left in the produce for human consumption. Unless they can work this out, they cannot guarantee safety. 'Standard withdrawal periods' can be set with discussion with the vet, for certain medications that are used in other livestock species and have some data on withdrawal periods in that species, and are usually 7 days for milk or eggs, but the only way to be 100% that there isn't a small amount of say ivermectin in the eggs, is to not give it to chickens laying for human consumption.
The ivermectin preparation for small furries and birds specifically says not for birds laying eggs for human consumption.
Hope that gives a little light on why things are not licensed for use in all species, and how complicated it can be in livestock.
As a vet, I still have trouble working out what I should and shouldn't give to my own animals for our own consumption!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 11:39:10 am »
Eprinex is recommended for use on turkeys, at 7 drops on the back of the neck.  I've used it on a  bought-inlarge fowl cockerel at 4 drops and the lice disappeared inside a day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS