Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tiny apples  (Read 7699 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
tiny apples
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:17 pm »
a tree we planted 2  years ago has quite a few lovely looking apples - trouble is the don't appear to be growing. I've got no idea what the variety is. They've been the size of cherry plums for weeks, it seems!  Bramleys, the other eater and the new pears are growing happily...:&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: tiny apples
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »
Ours are tiny too, and there's v few fruit on any tree. Maybe a 'bad year' or maybe they don't thrive on neglect like I hoped!
 :apple:                                                        :apple:                                                                                :apple:
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:06:04 pm »
I agree with the bad year for fruit looking at what my large Bramley tree produced last year, but for this one it's the first crop, maybe it's like first eggs  ;D :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:35:25 pm »
Our Russet is poor but the Dumelow's Seedling and Sunset are groaning.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:45:15 pm »
OH thinks it is a crab apple...I definitely bought the tree as something else (either eating apple, pear or cherry). I hope they do grow a wee bit more, so I can use them at least for jelly  ::) :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:10:47 am »
What size are they?  I had two crab apple trees up the road and the fruit were about the size of a cherry.  I think the old man that bought the house chopped them down too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:39:42 am »
Crab apples are OK for pollinating so they can fill a gap in your orchard and you should get more fruit on the other trees as a result.

I guess the trees are still small. It is worth taking out any damaged fruit or the small ones where you have a bunch of 2 or 3. The others will grow bigger then.

Here, it has been a dry summer and my little trees are struggling to stay alive as they establish their roots. I got a couple of tiny apricots and a few apples are growing but I shouldn't expect much this year with new trees.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:58:42 am »
crabapples can be small, we have one tree that produces oval apples which are barely 2ins long and 1 inch wide but it makes the sweetest crabapple jelly around and sets much better than some of the other varieties.
Ian

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »
The ones in question are quite red and a bit bigger than cherries now. We do have another crab apple, which is yellow, has a large core but they are already the size of small eating apples. Those a great for jellies and chutneys, sweeter than Bramleys. I'll leave it in, but I do feel a bit cheated , though... :&>

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:23:37 pm »
oh crab apple jelly is just the best jam!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:28:10 pm »
I WAS going to pick my rosehips today - but then the rain started again! Oh dear!  I knew the Central Belt was wetter but I didn't think  was going to get flooded out   ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:19:46 pm »
What do you do with the Rosehips? jelly?
Ours are fed to the goats, but I'm sure I could do more with them!!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:55 pm »
Rosehip syrup, and also jelly - but tbh have never tried it before.  They won't get picked tonight, that's for sure, another deluge just came down - I know because I just saw my chickens swimming past the window ;) ;D ;D  You gotta laugh  ::) if you didn't you'd  :'(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:14 pm »
Had thunder and lightening today (dont like it!) and got soaked @ work. Told colleagues it is no longer summer, cos its September, but they said I was miserable which I thought a bit harsh!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »
Annie, How are you planning to process the rosehips? I've heard a few versions how to do it best... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS