Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age too put gilt in pig?  (Read 7760 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
What age too put gilt in pig?
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »
I've been looking at buying 2 gilts been offered 2 9 month old gilts but I'm just getting some info before I commit. What age do I put her in pig? My sheep it was depending on size some ewe lambs went too the ram so waited till shearlings is it the same with pigs

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: What age too put gilt in pig?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:08:24 pm »
Nine months could be OK but it does depend upon how well grown they are for their age.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:11:53 pm »
Wouldn't put her right in pig but is was thinking feb/March time depending on if I can find a boat close enough or I have thought about AI?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:17:58 pm »
9-10 months is the usual so that they are over 12mths at farrowing. bear in mind most people will want weaners in april, and after aug, they are alot harder to sell as people want them finished by xmas and away from the farm before winter/mud strikes.
unless you have an established market for meat - i wouldnt plan on winter litters as they are so hard to shift and you may be left with alot of mouths to feed.

id try getting her in-pig asap if i was you and you'll capture the weaner market for june if you are lucky (if she takes first time). by the time you notice and start recording her seasons in time for organising a boar/ai, shel be 10 mths anyway.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:23:28 pm by shygirl »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:23:39 pm »
I actually find that pork sells pretty well during the winter months. I don't like processing pork during the hot summer months.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »
I actually find that pork sells pretty well during the winter months. I don't like processing pork during the hot summer months.

i meant weaners, as opposed to pork.
what are your plans azzdodd? are you wanting to sell weaners or pork? if its pork then there is no time pressure aslong as you have a good freezer.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27:44 pm »
Abit off both really I have a really good market for the lamb I sell so if I price the pork right sure I could sell that too. I'm gonna go and see them anyway and go from there ????

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 09:34:23 pm »
if you not in a hurry then 12-14mths is a nice age for the first mating. they have grown a fair bit and will be able to stand for a mature (heavy) boar. much older and they will run to fat and be harder to get in-pig.

what breed have you chosen?

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 09:45:31 pm »
These are saddleback which I really like cause they have a good fat covering. And they cross really well with most boars from the weaners I've had

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »
I tend to wait until they are at least a year old. Getting them pregnant earlier than that can hold their growth back.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:48 am »
We put our OSBs to the boar at 10 months. Haven't noticed it holding their growth back: they're both as big as I'd want them to be. If you're using a boar that's really huge, it might be kinder and safer for them to be a bit bigger. If you're planning on using AI, be aware that it has a reputation for not being very reliable in a gilt.
Good luck!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 10:57:56 am »
I agree with Berkshire Boy.   Earlier than a year they've not finished growing themselves and you'll need to use a young boar - some mature ones are huge!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:29 am »
Hi
We keep large black pigs and we waited till they were 2-3 years old before we put them in pig. It really gives them time to grow. I currently have 3 large black gilts at 3 years old at the moments, which are for sale. Would you be interested?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 07:20:08 am »
I think most people in the UK would be of the opinion that it would be very difficult if not impossible to get a three year old gilt in pig. Also three years of feeding and tending with no return doesn't make much economical sense to me.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 07:33:37 am »
They have not been put in pig before because we have been trying to find a boar for them, however I have heard that they need to be put in pig before 3 years old. I am selling them so that someone else can either kill them for meat, or put them to the boar.
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS