Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer?!?  (Read 9548 times)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Summer?!?
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »
So how has everyone elses summer been? We live on the Oxfordshire/Northants border and its been cool and wet.  I was convinced it was colder than last year so had a look at our files.  We keep a note everyday of max and min temps, daily weather and all wildlife we see each day (including first sightings so we can see if birds etc are coming/going earlier/later).

Well the ave temp is about 2.5 degrees lower for June, July and Aug than it was for the same period last year. I didn't have time to check our weather observations but I am sure we have had more wet or showerey days too. We have most definately had more thunder storms this year.  Don't usually get many but had one most weeks this summer.

So where are you from? What's you weather like? Better or worse than last year?

Cheers, Helen.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Summer?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:17:10 pm »
Fife has been wet, wet, wet and did I mention wet???? We have enjoyed possibly 8 beautiful days in total this summer but we have had rain almost every day this month. We have also had very strong winds but up until the last few days it has not been cold - despite these high winds. We were promised in Indian Summer too!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:21:25 pm »
Fife has been wet, wet, wet and did I mention wet???? We have enjoyed possibly 8 beautiful days in total this summer but we have had rain almost every day this month. We have also had very strong winds but up until the last few days it has not been cold - despite these high winds. We were promised in Indian Summer too!
I'll second that from next door in Clackmannanshire - not sure everyone would agree it's been warm though  ;) I've found it warm but I came from Aberdeenshire where it is four degrees colder almost all the time - I've been keeping track since I bought the house a year past January. So yes, wet wet wet
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:24:50 pm »
Well, Derbyshire is not known for its heat waves - more bracing winds up on these moors.  Last year was very wet indeed, so bad we did not get the hay.  This year, we have had 4 nice days in August, just enough to get the hay in.  Otherwise, its been wet, or overcast most days.  May and June were better, with warm days and sunshine.

Its raining today, and blowing a gale, so our usual weather for round here.  I think Summer has passed us by again.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:38:33 pm »
Wev'e had alot of gloomy weather. not cold and not wet but miserable.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:43:34 pm »
here not far from Ann i would say more dry marmer at the beginning of the year. Wet and stronger winds near the end so far.

My corner end of terrace house really catches the wind.

:)

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:22:32 pm »
We had about a week of nice weather here in Lanarkshire when the schools broke up at the end of June, but since then, cold, wet and totally miserable !  :P
Scottish summers - you've gotta love em  ::)

sandy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:29:21 pm »
We have been here 3 years and I can't remember wearing coats where I used to live, admittedly, I used to drive everywhere but I even wear a coat in Summer here!!!! My fave time of year is Autumn, to me, were we live in Scotland, it's Autumn all the time!!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 10:03:12 pm »
Yep its been wet wet and wet here just a bit up the road in Angus. We moved in June about 3 miles north but 300 metres higher. And hey guess what? - its been chillier............ Good job we've got a polytunnel. I'm considering putting a picnic table in the polytunnel so that we can have a few last outdoor meals this year. Still, nothing would drag me away from here. The low cloud hanging between the hills is so beautiful when I remember to look. OH is saying that it is not autumn yet and that September is going to be lovely ....... we'll see
kirsty

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »
Wet...windy...cold, then dry...warm...hot, then...Wet...windy...cold, then dry...warm...hot, then...Wet...windy...cold, then dry...warm...hot, then...Wet...windy...cold, then dry...warm...hot, then...changeable really!

Helen...did you say you keep a file on the weather?  You really must try and get out more!!

Farmer  ;D
 :farmer:

LockerbiteReiver

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:02 am »
All round bloody awful.

I'm sick of sinking up to my ankles in the duck runs, and then remembering it's August . . .

>:(

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 02:11:51 am »
that it, i hate this country, i was even cold in the greenhouse today. I must have the hardiest chillis in the world!!

i thought we were due a cracker of a summer???

started well, but july was bad and august just got worse!!!!!

do i only really notice it now becuase i want to grow things and i'm out with the dog every day? maybe 18 months ago when i lived in edinburgh, had no dog, no garden, no veg, i just didn't care, bit seriously, i'm not retiring in scotland, i want a nice warm retirment

sandy

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:31 am »
Seem to remember a similar thread last year,  just shows you  how the weather has leveled out into one long Autumn!! I am still wearing my wellies and jacket when I go out with the dogs, I am so glad I have stones where my DUcks and Chickens are, they do have soil as well, one part of the garden has a huge tree and underneath is always like a dust  bowl, the chickens love it there, roll on winter ;) ;) ;)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 11:01:07 am »
Here in the 'sunny south east' of Ireland - it isn't and hasn't been!!!  We had a run of 3 days non stop sun in June and then rain - even if the sun is about it rains - rainbows all over the place.  If I could find the pots of gold I would be off to warmer climates :-\

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
So how has everyone elses summer been? We live on the Oxfordshire/Northants border and its been cool and wet.  I was convinced it was colder than last year so had a look at our files. 

Misread this as "looked at our flies!"  Wondered what you kept down there that was indicative of colder weather!!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS