Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rubbish garden tools  (Read 7235 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
rubbish garden tools
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:13:47 pm »
Why, oh why do I get a garden fork a year/season, which either the handle breaks or the prongs bend?? I know we've got many hidden stones, but aren't they supposed to withstand a bit of pressure?
I thought I went for the safe bet last time , buying Made in Germany, but they probably import cheap wood from somewhere like China  >:(  the metal on these is great, but pretty useless now... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: rubbish garden tools
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:26 pm »
I bought the payless ones from Focus and they've been the best I've ever had.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:34 am »
Northfife duckling,
Is it a new handle you need ? - we've got HUNDREDS of plastic ones with jubilee clips to fix them on, I'll happily post one up to you if that's any good ?
(As for explaining why we've got HUNDREDS of the bl**dy things - my Dad can't help himself if something's on ebay with a 99p starting bid LOL!)
Seriously though - just PM me your address & I'll get one to you.
Karen x

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:30:53 am »
I buy old tools at markets and antique shops ;D  they seem to be made to last and once i have sharpened them away they go for years more :o  oh yeah.... and they very cheap as well which i like a LOT ::)

Chris

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:34:49 pm »
HappyHippy, thanks for the offer! - It's the wooden part (shaft?) broken half way down on one and just above the metal part on the other... :&>

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:39:10 pm »
I've got an antique fork I've had for years... genuine antique I've only had to replace the handle 4 times and the steel tines twice in 30 years use.....

:D  :D
Ian

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:09:10 pm »
HappyHippy, thanks for the offer! - It's the wooden part (shaft?) broken half way down on one and just above the metal part on the other... :&>

Build a fire and put it in, it'll burn out the wooden handle. It weakens the metal a little, but you have the comfort of knowing you're recycling!

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 02:58:13 pm »
If you burn out the remains of the old handle, taking the rivet out is pretty easy. Fitting a new handle is tedious but an hour with a small plane (a block plane) is enough to get the new one to fit. If you get it roughly to shape and then try pushing it in, rust marks on the wood will show you where to take wood off with the plane so it becomes a fairly 'scientific' process to get a good fit.

I generally use a large nail to form the new rivet. Drill through the assembled fork/spade and handle with a drill the correct diameter for the nail to fit. Don't drill bigger than you need to as this weakens the handle. push in the nail and saw it off about 4-5mm beyond the shank of the fork to have enough metal to form the rivet. Use the ball end of an engineer's hammer to gently tap down the cut end of the nail to pull the sides of the fork shank together tightly onto the new handle. Don't hammer too hard or the new rivet will just bend in the middle and make a weak joint. You can use the face of a sledge or lump hammer as an anvil.

When you have formed a tight joint, excess metal can be filed off to leave a smooth surface so your hand doesn't catch on any rough metal.

If the top of the shank of the fork doesn't form a smooth joint with the new handle, I use some car body filler to smooth over the joint. This is the polyester filler you mix with a catalyst which then sets in about 15 minutes. The filler can be filed or sanded smooth. Some brands of filler are hard and durable and some crumble quite quickly. Sorry I can't be more specific. I have thought of using Epoxy glue but it is more expensive and tends to run out if not held in place before it sets.

As far as the new handle is concerned, I coat mine with boiled linseed oil a couple of times during the summer. This seals the wood and gives it a nice smooth hard finish. I do the same on all wooden handles of equipment I use outside (rakes, shears, hammers, etc.). A small bottle of oil from the local paint shop lasts forever so it's a cheap way of keeping the handles in good shape.

Another trick is to have an old bucket of sand into which you pour old engine oil. When you finish working with a fork, spade, shears etc. remove any mud and then push the metal end into the sand. This oils the surface and the sand gives it a slight polish. I stay clean and shiny ready for when you next need it.

If you regularly break fork handles, you may be trying too hard. Give yourself and the fork and break and dig smaller sods  (can I say that here?).

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:35 pm »
Leaving tools out in the rain also tends to bugger up wooden handles fairly quickly ... With four active boys I tend to find the spades, forks and shovels outside at least once a week  :)

Unicorn

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »
I've got an antique fork I've had for years... genuine antique I've only had to replace the handle 4 times and the steel tines twice in 30 years use.....
 :D  :D

Sounds like triggers brush on only fools and horses - lol ;D ;D ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:41:33 pm »
I've sourced a place for the handles, have burnt the bits out of the metal and will now do the good thing - instead of buying a whole new fork, which costs less than a handle - and I will (try to) make sure I'll put them away each day!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS