Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: injured duck foot  (Read 3964 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
injured duck foot
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:36 pm »
I noticed one of my ducks was limping for a few days and could inspect her closer this morning. She has a wee hole in one of her feet. My birds are very shy, so catching her would be really difficult. I was considering separating her to stop her from running after the herd, but didn't manage that yet. Is that likely to heal by itself?  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: injured duck foot
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:53:55 pm »
Wonder how she got a hole in her foot.  Even if it doesn't heal by itself I can't see how you or even  a vet could fix it.  Any nails lying around in case one of the others walks on it and does the same?  If you separate her you'll need to give her some company - can just see you sliding and slithering around trying to catch not one but two reluctant prisoners! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »
Annie, I'm ever so vigilant, picking up bits all the time from a hundred years ago. Maybe the amount of rain had washed something up in a corner or under the willowherb. she seemed a bit better this evening.
The only way I could separate her is to guide her into the isolation chamber  ;D (an egglu), had to laugh at your lively imagination (me trying to catch them)  ;D ;D ;D  :&>

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »
I'm afraid you could pick up all the bits in existence and your duck can still put a hole in her foot from wonderful old nature, twigs to dead stems of nettles and other woody stuff....

Hope the ducky gets better soon
Ian

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:43:57 am »
Kerstin I think this is something that just happens and is quite common. I remember I had a duck that was waling badly and when I spoke with the vet he asked me if she had a hole in her web as this can cause them to limp? I am certain it is just a matter of time and it heals by itself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS