Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Firewood  (Read 2491 times)

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
Firewood
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:09:52 pm »
I've got half an acre of land that I want to plant with trees  :tree:as a future supply of wood for my log burner.  What's the best timber to go for good burning and quick growth?

Victorian Farmer

Re: Firewood
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 09:15:57 pm »
Birch cheap good burning lots in Scotland

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »
Silver birch almost every time unless your looking for hazel to coppice for kindling as well .

Look them up on the ( RHS ) Royal Horticultural society's  website for propagation & care etc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:28:10 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:34:09 pm »
Depends what grows where you are. Hybrid willow and poplar will give the most volume of wood but it needs to be dried and kept dry. Alder is a fantastic and under-rated firewood. Fast growing and easy to split plus it coppices readily. You might want to also consider ash, hazel, sycamore and others for longer term coppice hardwoods.  A mix is probably best with a range of harvesting schedules. 

Have a look at what's growing on the land already and explore the potential of those species.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS